Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Relic/ground find SS Buckle opinions

Article about: Had this for a while, I got it as part of a trade a while back but wanted to check with you guys that it is original? It is in a bit of a sorry state, and not for the faint hearted I am admi

Just looking at the catch, does not look like a late war Overhoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic/ground find SS Buckle opinions  
    Attached Images Attached Images Relic/ground find SS Buckle opinions 
    Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic/ground find SS Buckle opinions
    P
    Many

Will get some better pics tomorrow mate, hopefully will be able to say either way
    Thanks for your time so far

Chris

If it is original I think it will be an Overhoff buckle, its made of steel thats why its rusted, the Assmann ears are longer so for me if real it will be one of these buckles shown below, but rear pics should let us know either way

- - ------- - -

I also doubt it will a JFS buckle which is the top out out of these
    Attached Images Attached Images Relic/ground find SS Buckle opinions  Relic/ground find SS Buckle opinions  Relic/ground find SS Buckle opinions  Relic/ground find SS Buckle opinions 
    Ben

Here is some more detailed pictures of the back, the prong that is short seems to have corroded away rather than always been like that.

Cheers

Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic/ground find SS Buckle opinions   Relic/ground find SS Buckle opinions  

Relic/ground find SS Buckle opinions   Relic/ground find SS Buckle opinions  

Chris

Thanks for the extra pics, and a hard call to make properly, from the ears I would say it is an original steel Overhoff, the prongs could have been rusted and the ends have come off and the rust on the buckle might be masking the feet of the catch. here are some pics for you to compare again the steel buckles it could be, have a look at yours through a loop and see if you can see the slots in the feet of the catch or if some pieces have rusted off
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic/ground find SS Buckle opinions   Relic/ground find SS Buckle opinions  

Ben

Hi Ben,
    Really hard to see if there is any trace of slots on the feet as the catch is so badly corroded. After another look I think the prongs have definitely just rusted away (hard to capture in photos). Could it be the same as the bottom buckle pictured in your last post? Is there anything I can do to improve or even stabilise it's appearance, or is it too far gone?

cheers

Chris

Actually, after supersizing the photo on my monitor I think I can see a trace of a slot in the top foot?

Chris

Probably an original buckle then, I would not say 100% as to be honest due to the corrosion and paint ect it is very hard to tell mate
    Ben

Thanks for your time, Ben
    Much appreciated as always
    Chris

Always welcome Chris
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2