Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS buckle "57"

Article about: A brace of the incredibly boring "57" Martin Winter SS buckles. As having been discussed so many times before, Winter as the distributor, rather than the manufacturer. Regards, Dav

Default SS buckle "57"

A brace of the incredibly boring "57" Martin Winter SS buckles.

As having been discussed so many times before, Winter as the distributor, rather than the manufacturer.

Regards,

David
    Last edited by David North; 12-03-2009 at 07:09 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS buckle "57"
    P
    Many

Default re: SS belt buckle "57" - s.s.

Nice buckles David and good pictures for the less experienced members of the forum for info
    Ben

Default re: SS belt buckle "57" - s.s.

True beauty buckles there David! Love 'em!
    Thanks for sharing!

Rob

Default Re: SS belt buckle "57" - s.s.

Ben and Rob

The Martin Winter of Munich discussion is quite interesting and not I think, should be be solely or purely SS related.

Here is a DAF-Werkschar in nickle silver and yet again, shows the enigmatic Winter mark.

Note the similarities in construction, to include the "box" ears.

A very interesting "maker".

Regards,

David

Dan D
    ?

David,

For clarification purposes, the Winter "57" SS buckle that you have shown with Winter being the distributor, not manufacturer, means that he only applied the marking and did not manufacture the buckle. As for the DAF buckle, Winter was manufacturer and distributor.

Is this correct?

PS. Please send me ALL your boring buckles!!!!

great pics and thanks for posting them,,still learning after 46 years of collecting!,,,

David

Very interesting DAF buckle and a first for me to be honest, I love the long prongs on these buckles, very characteristic of JFS also
    Ben

Dan

I am sorry for appearing a little dim and blasé here, however I really find SS buckles incredibly boring and of little interest to me and furthermore, I have no inclination whatsoever to undertake any form of any research.

Here are my thoughts and my opinion though which I cannot and will not attempt to support in any way.

In my opinion, the 57 SS was manufactured by Steinhauer und Lück of Lüdenscheid (the SS buckle appears in their period catalogues) and furthermore and for some unknown reason, was distributed by Martin Winter.

In addition, I feel the same about the nickle silver DAF-Werkschar as being manufactured by Steinhauer und Lück.

I have attached an image of the well known 63 SS buckle and where I presume that 63, is an abbreviation of the first series RZM code for St. u L.

Just look at all the features of the two SS buckles (excluding the markings of course). The same and to include an interesting die flaw to the swastika reverse and which I have isolated.

Regards,

David

Default Re: SS buckle "57"

David, very good observation there and I think you are onto a winner with that. Logically it ticks all the boxes and with the examples shown one cannot mistrust ones own eyes, I would put a big wager on that theory any day!
    Ben

Default Re: SS buckle "57"

David,

thank you for this nice little lesson I didn't knew this by now.

Cheers
    Thomas