Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

SS Fat Eagle variant questions

Article about: Hello guys, I recently picked up the attached buckle and wanted to seek some opinions. 1) firstly is everyone in agreement that its correct as the long curved prongs are new to me and I woul

Default SS Fat Eagle variant questions

Hello guys,

I recently picked up the attached buckle and wanted to seek some opinions.

1) firstly is everyone in agreement that its correct as the long curved prongs are new to me and I would like to know if this is typical or otherwise.

2) It has some minor damage which is very hard to picture but the area where the right wing meets the outer rope border is pressed in slightly and the retaining clasp has also been bent inwards. My question being should restoration be attempted or should it be left alone as part of its history. If restoration then does anyone know of someone who takes this type of work on ?

Many thanks

Michael SS Fat Eagle variant questionsSS Fat Eagle variant questionsSS Fat Eagle variant questionsSS Fat Eagle variant questionsSS Fat Eagle variant questions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Fat Eagle variant questions
    P
    Many

Prongs are quite typical for this buckle, I think I have seen two variants of catch. I would leave the buckle as it it to be honest, here is mine for reference
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Fat Eagle variant questions   SS Fat Eagle variant questions  

SS Fat Eagle variant questions   SS Fat Eagle variant questions  

SS Fat Eagle variant questions  
    Ben

This one on Germanwarbooty has the same prongs as yours but a different cach SS EM/NCO'S "Fat Eagle" Belt Buckle

- - ------- - -

And another http://www.germanwarbooty.com/item-beltbuckles/buckles%20b1726.htm
    Ben

hi Ben,

thanks for your feedback and the link to the Germanwarbooty buckle.

This one was picked up by a Dorset regiment veteran who served from the D day landings at Gold beach to the end of the war, collecting this buckle somewhere in between.

Im also thinking best leave the slight dent alone, its not obtrusive and its not worth the risk of making matters worse.

Kindest regards

Michael