Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

SS Oeil Cerne

Article about: I was going to hold off on buying but I couldn't pass on this scarce buckle. J.P. Redeuilh named the buckle Oeil Cerne. This is French and has something to do with the nicely detailed eye on

?

Default SS Oeil Cerne

I was going to hold off on buying but I couldn't pass on this scarce buckle. J.P. Redeuilh named the buckle Oeil Cerne. This is French and has something to do with the nicely detailed eye on the eagle. These may have been produced by Rudolf Fischer but that hasn't been proven. I believe the buckle is solid nickel. The catch and prongs are brass and the prong sleeve is steel. The back of the buckle on the wings looks gold and I believe that is old lacquer. The buckle is nicer in hand than the photos show.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Oeil Cerne   SS Oeil Cerne  

SS Oeil Cerne   SS Oeil Cerne  

SS Oeil Cerne  
    Last edited by kirby; 04-07-2020 at 01:34 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Oeil Cerne
    P
    Many

Scarce and nice buckle, congrats Kirby

?

Thanks. It was your buckle in the SS markers thread that helped me ID the type.

Quote by Kirby
    J.P. Redeuilh named the buckle Oeil Cerne. This is French and has something to do with the nicely detailed eye on the eagle. These may have been produced by Rudolf Fischer but that hasn't been proven.
    Indeed. In fact the last e is with an accent: é. This means, in French, how look one eye after a hard night without any sleep or after an hang over. Thank you very much for your named referral. You are absolutely right: years ago I attributed the maker of those buckles as R.Fisher, and this could be accurate, but the final answer will be only once we positively, and without any doubt, attribute this logo to the R.Fisher factory.
    .SS Oeil Cerne
    But if this logo belongs to any other maker, this other maker will be the one having made the Oeil Cerné SS buckles

SS Buckles to collect: The ultimate list
    SS Buckles to collect: The ultimate list comments

?

Found a couple more examples that were sold by the same dealer. They both have the same gold stuff on the reverse. I was thinking it was lacquer but now I'm thinking it's just excess solder. Thanks for your input JP.

Another thing you could have noticed which is particular to this maker is the position of the catch. The vast majority of makers did position it between the two ropes. This maker position it exactly on the second rope.

?

Thanks for pointing that out. I sent a friend some photos and that was the first thing he noticed. You both have a eye for detail.

?

That's a beauty Kirby - very nice addition to your collection. The Oeil Cerné buckle has still eluded my collection.

?

Hi Dan. In the photo of your collection you have a Rudolf Fischer isn’t that the same buckle?
    Last edited by kirby; 05-03-2020 at 02:33 PM.