Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unmarked Nickel SS Buckle

Article about: Hi guys, well firstly I have purchased something that I never buy and that is a damaged buckle. However the buckle is question is so hard to get hold of and if you can find one unless extrem

Default Unmarked Nickel SS Buckle

Hi guys, well firstly I have purchased something that I never buy and that is a damaged buckle. However the buckle is question is so hard to get hold of and if you can find one unless extremely lucky they are so expensive my wife would divorce me if I ever did buy one (Mmm not a bad thing really!) Anyway the buckle is question is what I believe to be a "cracked wing" SS Buckle. This term came from J P Reudeuilh whom has takeb a look at the buckle and says it is indeed a cracked wing SS. There were apparently three variations of this buckle. One has the flaw crack in the top of the wing by the eagle. One was just unmarked with no crack flaw in it (the one I have just received) and there was also one with Ges Gesch written on it. This one has the prong sleeve assembly missing and has a nail there instead. Whether or not the nail bit was done period I do not know and to be frank do not care, like I said very very hard to get hold of buckles and just nice to have one in the collection. I have taken plenty of pics for study and reference for the forum. If anyone wants any other pics please ask. Also if anyone has any of the other variants could you please post them here for comparison. Enjoy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unmarked Nickel SS Buckle   Unmarked Nickel SS Buckle  

Unmarked Nickel SS Buckle   Unmarked Nickel SS Buckle  

Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unmarked Nickel SS Buckle
    P
    Many

Default Re: Unmarked Nickel SS Buckle

More
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unmarked Nickel SS Buckle   Unmarked Nickel SS Buckle  

Unmarked Nickel SS Buckle   Unmarked Nickel SS Buckle  

Unmarked Nickel SS Buckle  
    Ben

Just one point to note looking at other Cracked wing SS eagles it appears that this one is different, I wonder if all three versions of this buckle had a different eagle? Any other opinions from anyone who owns one of these? Maybe David will comment or even JP when they read this thread. Andreas where are you? I am sure you have a comment to make my friend
    Ben

Dear Ben

I have 2 of these "cracked wing" SS buckles and unfortunately, neither of the other two within the family which you have alluded to.

Jean-Pierre is of course the authority on this one.

When comparing the buckles that I hold to yours, the difference to my eye at least is really quite striking.

Perhaps I am missing something here?

Regards,

David

Many thanks David, I have been looking a pics of them and I thought they were not the same, I have been looking at the marks left by the folding tool and comparing them with a couple of early nickel HJ buckles but nothing really identical. I even had second doubts and thought it might be a fake but if it is it is the best made fake ever!!!
    Ben

I have now seen another one of these buckles with Ges Gesch on it. Chad Wiliams has a HJ buckle with the same flat ctach, I have asked him to send me pics of the side on the buckle so I can compare folding tool marks, may give us a clue to the maker!
    Ben

I have this buckle, marked Ges gesch and with leather tab, I posted it on WAF, also I have a Cracked Wing buckle and both buckles are different
    Regards
    Iván

Ivan, any clue or idea as to who the maker is?
    Ben

No idea Ben