Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1. Garde-Division, 5. Kompanie 4 color camo

Article about: Here for the forum's review is my newest helmet, arriving today (the one I was hinting at to Andy in this thread ) http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/collec...-5/#post793269 It is a very rare 1.

?

Default 1. Garde-Division, 5. Kompanie 4 color camo

Here for the forum's review is my newest helmet, arriving today (the one I was hinting at to Andy in this thread )

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/colle...-5/#post793269

It is a very rare 1. Garde-Division, 5. Kompanie 4 color camo manufactured by ET in size 64. The lot number is difficult to read, stamped in the dome I can make out a B then a serified I or perhaps the left side of an L, the rest remains unreadable. The camo is a 4 colour earth brown, ochre, grass and forest green painted more or less in a circular pattern. No black finger width separators are to be found on the camo or even under the existing paint. There is the remnant of the name in the rear of the skirt, again being difficult to read and I cannot make a name from what is remaining. The "5" in the rear of the skirt is painted in black and is quite legible still, with damage matching the rest of the helmet and the painted skirt around it.

The cream coloured remains of the glue from a large rectangular mail home label is on the front of the brow, with a patination difference where the label was, which is now lost to history. The Hohenzollernwappen is the unbordered type, with the white shield painted first and the black checkers and edging painted overtop. Approximately 60-70% of the shield remains and is nicely worn with the rest of the camo and close inspection with a loupe shows crazing and clear age.

The liner is in reasonably good condition and appears to be original to the shell despite a small double bend in the rear pin, the other 2 pins show no signs of replacement and the painted exterior matches the painted shell perfectly as does condition. The liner pads are missing the drawstring and the helmet did not have a chinstrap. No other markings can be found on this one, which I have put on my top shelf beside my other 1. Garde-Division which was brought home by US Veteran James Robert Silverster in 1918 who was a veterinarian stationed in France in the World War.

Enjoy!

Attachment 461404

Attachment 461405

Attachment 461406

Attachment 461407

Attachment 461408

Attachment 461409

Attachment 461410

Attachment 461411

Attachment 461412

Attachment 461413

Attachment 461414

Attachment 461415

Attachment 461421

Attachment 461422

Attachment 461424

Attachment 461423

Attachment 461434

Attachment 461416

Attachment 461417

Attachment 461418

Attachment 461432

Attachment 461425

Attachment 461426

Attachment 461427

Attachment 461428

Attachment 461429

Attachment 461430

Attachment 461435
    Last edited by DougB; 02-05-2013 at 05:09 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1. Garde-Division, 5. Kompanie 4 color camo
    P
    Many

Default Re: 1. Garde-Division, 5. Kompanie 4 color camo

Let this thread serve as a guide for the way in which one properly takes photos of a helmet.

?

Thanks, it is important to take good pictures, bad pics can break a good helmet.

I forgot to add this period photo, these are incredibly hard to find, this one was posted by Hans on GHW2. The Garde-Division is said to use the Hohenzollernwappen in early 1918 and this might explain why there are so few photos if any that exist of this pattern of German helmet. I only know of a handful in collections and like everything else they are heavily faked.

Attachment 461462

?

Like I said on GHW, I was following that one also and was a believer. Nice pulling of a gem from among the trash, great helmet Doug.
    Regards,
    John

?

It is absolutely disgusting that those helmets belong to you.............instead of me.

Ah, it's ok.

Thanks for showing Doug. I like the Camo paint the best. Interesting pattern.

Fabulous helmet. I love the 'Art Deco' camo design on this one.........
    Regards,

Steve.

i have enjoyed thanks for showing.

Fabulous pick up, Doug! What a beautiful helmet and some great pictures too. A rare one indeed. Congratulations!

Luke

It has rust on it and the liner shows it's age...I'd get rid of it, if I were you....I'll dispose of it for you, if you'd like.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast