Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 83 of 94 FirstFirst ... 33 73 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 93 ... LastLast

1000 Post Helmet World Tour!

Article about: After Dave (sscrooge), a short trip to Ireland to see young Patrick, then Belgium and the world. 5 more stops and it will be in Russia mate, maybe for the second time

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Been to Gettysburg once - back in 1998 - for a day.
    A haunting but very historic place. I would love to
    go back again some time.........
    I hope you can. And when you do let me know, it's only a 12 mile drive for me and the first round's on me!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1000 Post Helmet World Tour!
    P
    Many

The 20th Maine Infantry Regiment monument at Little Round Top

Defense of Little Round Top

Dedication and the monument today

1000 Post Helmet World Tour!1000 Post Helmet World Tour!

The stone walls, looking down the valley towards Big Round Top and the Confederate line. This was the view of the 20th Maine, as well as the 44th New York, 16th Michigan and 83rd Pennsylvania.

The marker for the left flank of the 20th Maine. This was the end of the Union line at Gettysburg.

The view up the slope of Little Round Top. This would have been the view of the 15th and 47th Alabama regiments.

More views from Little Round Top, this time facing West towards the main Confederate lines.

Looking northwest towards the town of Gettysburg, off to the right side of the photo.

Cannon atop Little Round Top, aimed towards the Confederate lines in the valley and ridge beyond.

Beyond the helmet, at the bottom of the photos is a clump of boulders called Devil's Den. This was the sight of fierce close quarters combat. It is also home to one of the most iconic photos from the Civil War, though thought to be staged by the photographer.

Some more photos overlooking the valley.

The Pennsylvania Monument

View from the top

The Peach Orchard

Gettysburg - Peach Orchard, July 2, 1863

Don't know if anyone still cares, but I took the pics so I'm posting them, lol. A few more from Gettysburg, and then I'll post some later of the helmet at Fort Ritchie, Maryland.

The Emmitsburg Road. This road was crossed by approximately 15,000 Confederate soldiers on July 3, 1863, during the failed attempt to breach the Union lines on Cemetery Ridge, a charge known as Pickett's Charge. The Confederate casualty rate was over 50%.

The "copse of trees" which is traditionally believed to be the focus point for Confederate forces to converge after covering a mile of open ground. There is debate that the focal point was actually a different copse of trees a little further north.

This is the Eternal Peace Flame, dedicated by FDR in 1938.

Great pics.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by MD Helmets View Post
    Don't know if anyone still cares, but I took the pics so I'm posting them, lol.
    Nice photos!
    Of course we care, I would like to see it make it back to Andy even if he is not currently active as it is his helmet.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

It's pretty good, when a thread gets so old that the original poster isn't even active anymore...perhaps the "send to" list could be abbreviated and speeded up?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Great to see this is moving again and some great pics.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I agree it would be good to see this helmet make the round trip and finaly make it back home to the UK it has hit a slight bumb in the road it would seem but such is life it is safe were it is untill the next leg of its journey can begin.

Regards Mark

Page 83 of 94 FirstFirst ... 33 73 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 93 ... LastLast