Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 LW helmets - one camo

Article about: Hello gents - I posted a helmet yesterday with shrapnel/bullet damage and I appreciate all the commentary and feedback! The same picker offered me these additional 2 helmets to consider, and

?

Default 2 LW helmets - one camo

Hello gents -
    I posted a helmet yesterday with shrapnel/bullet damage and I appreciate all the commentary and feedback!
    The same picker offered me these additional 2 helmets to consider, and I am still learning helmets.

First, I am tee'ing up the nicest helmet he offered me, and it is what I believe is a LW M42, with complete liner, but do I have it right? .. I think it's an M42. I am also still learning liners and decals. The decals are a bit of a minefield for me at the moment. The number is associated with a batch number? ....if I am correct.

I am also sharing a LW camo helmet he offered me. I shared it on the WAF and English Bob gave it a thumbs up, but I also wanted to post it here because it's kind of a neat pattern, if you guys think it's legit. It's too bad the liner has damage, as there is writing that I can't make out.

On to the pictures ....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 LW helmets - one camo   2 LW helmets - one camo  

2 LW helmets - one camo   2 LW helmets - one camo  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2 LW helmets - one camo
    P
    Many

?

This is the 2nd one with camo ... not sure why the dark spot where decal should be?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 LW helmets - one camo   2 LW helmets - one camo  

1st helmet is an M35 model. Appears the Nat. color decal was removed. Decal looks original
    2nd helmet is an M40 (camo) Better pics needed to authenticate the camo paint....but decal appears original & should not have a decal on the opposite side.

Future posting please present one helmet per thread. It's forum policy & posting multiple helmets can get confusing
    Thanks, By the way...careful who you take opinions from. Whoever "English Bob" is, I find it quite irresponsible to give the camo a "thumbs up" if these were the only images he had to judge it.
    D.

?

Hi D -
    Thanks for the feedback and Understand, I need to break these out into separate threads next time. Based on my 101 studies and looking at the camo helmet in person, I felt it was an M40 (!) , so I am glad you said that, but it makes me question why the blemish on the opposite side, as there shouldn't have been anything present … right?

To clarify your point on the M40 and the camo, do you recommend close-up macro shots and some more overall views? I know I missed taking a photo of the back and front (facing directly). I think I can get access to the helmet again at some point, so I just want to make sure I take appropriate pictures. Attached are two more pics of that helmet that I didn't post earlier. If there is something else I should note about the paint, I am still learning. If it's questionable ...I am gonna steer clear. Thanks! Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 LW helmets - one camo  
    Attached Images Attached Images 2 LW helmets - one camo 

I don't like the camo - to me it looks like paint has been applied over rust - i've highlighted below.
    I agree that the luft decal looks good, but the opposite side - difficult to tell if there was a Nat decal there or someone ignorantly went digging for one regardless? If there was it would almost certainly be post war applied.

To many questions for me on this.
    Nick

2 LW helmets - one camo

2 LW helmets - one camo

M35 looks good. The camo one not sure, but I don't see any red flags, except maybe that the camo in that exact pattern/color is unusual - for lack of a better word. The blemish could be anything, but I would think it is a previous collector or vet who tried to dig under the paint to find a decal. They must have been unaware that M40s almost never have double decals. But anyways, the liner, strap and inner paint look good on the camo helmet. I can't comment on camo paint itself with these photos.

The paint color between the regular photos and the decal close up is so different. You need more photos with more light.

?

THANK YOU in a big way for the constructive comments! … everyone. I appreciate it! I am gonna endeavor to take more photos when I can get back to the seller's residence, and I was given the advice to take the camo helmet outside and do photos in natural light. I will do that. regards, Dan

Hi, personally I am not keen on the cammo either, just a gut feeling on that from the images provided, the other helmet is good, just a touch salty. Leon.

TWS
    ?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi, personally I am not keen on the cammo either, just a gut feeling on that from the images provided, the other helmet is good, just a touch salty. Leon.
    Same here. Don't get a good vibe from the camo, but I like the M35.

Zook, can you post a good straight on photo of the M35 where the national colors shield would have been?
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast