Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The 2nd helmet from the auction in Jersey, Channel Islands.

Article about: This is the other helmet from the auction. As you will see it has been attacked by a mouse, who found the liner to his taste. These things happen and its part of story of this helmet. You wi

Default The 2nd helmet from the auction in Jersey, Channel Islands.

This is the other helmet from the auction. As you will see it has been attacked by a mouse, who found the liner to his taste. These things happen and its part of story of this helmet. You will also notice the non standard chin strap on the helmet, all I can say is that is how it came and I truly believe it was on the helmet at the end of the German Occupation of the Island and not fitted after the war. It adds nothing nor takes away from the helmet overall, but even this mouse eaten example of a helmet is now a rarity here on an Island that had many many thousands of them just lying around all over the place. The remains of the owners name can be seen in the rear part of the neck guard, but have been removed so much that the name is unreadable.
    So thats the 2nd one, hope you like it.
    All the best from Jersey,
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The 2nd helmet from the auction in Jersey, Channel Islands.   The 2nd helmet from the auction in Jersey, Channel Islands.  

The 2nd helmet from the auction in Jersey, Channel Islands.   The 2nd helmet from the auction in Jersey, Channel Islands.  

The 2nd helmet from the auction in Jersey, Channel Islands.   The 2nd helmet from the auction in Jersey, Channel Islands.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The 2nd helmet from the auction in Jersey, Channel Islands.
    P
    Many

I like it !
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Hi,
    I do as well. I spent years looking for the real nice examples of helmets I could find and now I get more pleasure from acquiring a helmet like this one.... strange how things go.
    D

Nice to see these items are still out there waiting to be found

Do you have allways rusted helmets found in caves ?
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Hi lebus,
    Unfortunately, all the helmets that were sealed up in the German tunnels have long since totally rusted away. There is nothing left now. I have a few examples tucked away but they are no more.
    D

?

D, perhaps you can clear up an old tale that a dealer related to me many years ago, he stated that in the museum there is a room/stores etc, there are german helmets packed into this room from floor to ceiling, and every helmet has numerous rubber stamp marks on them, it goes that every year an official from France has to travel over and count all the helmets and stamp them all again, now i doubt if the whole story is true,but there is always some truth in tales like this, and i can imagine that if these helmets exist like this then someone would need to catalogue them periodically on a stocktake for inventory purposes, any ideas or a similar tales to be told????? cheers Dave

MAP
    ?

I love that chin strap! Looks like it would have fit over the chin and kept the helmet a bit more stable.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi davejb,
    Well that the first time I have ever heard such a tale. I know the Jersey Museum has a small number of German helmets, and most of those are in relic condition having come from the German tunnels years ago. The Jersey War Tunnels has less than a handful of helmet and none worthy of note. So where these helmets are supposed to be is in someones imagination. The other point I would make is, why would an official from France come here every year to stamp them. We are nothing to do with the French and they have no jurestriction here.
    Back in the 50's and 60's there were thousands of helmets stacked floor to ceiling in the old German tunnel in St.Peters Valley. They had been collected up from around the island and dumped in the tunnel. Soon after being sealed in people broke in to see what they could find. So over the years bits and pieces did come out. But every time the authorities found the tunnels had been opened they re-sealed them. I first got into the tunnels in the 80's, there was nothing good left then, just really relic shells that if you banged 2 together you would have nothing left. I have attached a photo taken years and years ago in the tunnels by the late Maurice Delanoe. It gives you an idea of what was there but its certainly nothing like that now.
    All the best,
    D
    Attached Images Attached Images The 2nd helmet from the auction in Jersey, Channel Islands. 

Must have been the salt air?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast