Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

3 colour camo helmet

Article about: by WOODSNAKE Hi Dave are you familiar with the book i mentioned in my thread Normandy 44 by Dan Tylisz? there is over 200 colour photos all Camo all from France some of the schemes are outra

?

Default Re: 3 colour camo helmet

Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    Hi Dave are you familiar with the book i mentioned in my thread Normandy 44 by Dan Tylisz? there is over 200 colour photos all Camo all from France some of the schemes are outrageous and some look rediculous but apparently they're all Fair Dinkum, my mind has opened up to all sorts of possibilities.
    Woodsnake, I'm afraid Frank is right. I was going to buy a copy and flipped right to the SS section. Fake after fake after fake. There's a lot of fake garbage in that book sad to say. In this day and age a book is easy to publish. Just because it's in a book doesn't make it real. Sort of like the Internet....

Anyway we have a thread on helmet books where the discussion on the book can be talked about, let's keep it to this helmet which needs far better photos and closeups to make any real worthwhile comment. This could easily be a fake.

I will post up 2 camo helmets recently discussed on GHW that are fakes. Then you can see what collectors are up against with camo's and why a collectors need to know what to look for to identify a real from fake. Also go to GHW and search any thread by Ruffin.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 3 colour camo helmet
    P
    Many

Doug,
    When you say "lets keep it to this helmet which needs better photo...etc" I guess your referring to my helmet? If so although the photo's are not up to scratch rest assured the helmet is not a fake in any part. As a collector of German helmets and with over 300 in the collection I do like to think I have passed the test where they are concerned. I was brought up and still live on an Island where we had in excess of 10,000 helmets at the end of the Occupation. Many were still hanging in sheds and garages when i was a kid. They came straight from the farm or attic where they had been left in 45. Here in Jersey and indeed in the Channel Islands the collectors have had a good grounding on things like helmets and general kit as it was all around us. Some people played football with helmets or just threw them over the cliffs into the sea for fun there were than many.
    Rest assured the helmet in the photo is 100% original, but as yet no one has narrowed the field as to where such a camo would have been used. No one knows it all, and when you think you do then its time to go back to the beginning and start all over again.
    D.

That said, I'd like bigger and better pics to feast my eyes if no other reason

As for defining a theatre, I don't think any camo helmet can be 100% ID'd in this way. With the exception of obvious DAK, and winter camo's perhaps. Even then it could be Africa / Italy, Norway / Russia etc......''Normandy'' camo is a bit of a misnomer as the pattern would fit terrain in most of Europe.

Hi,
    I agree with that myself, I pinched them from one of my files and thats how they came out on screen. i don't have photo's of all my helmets and as yet even having moved house some 4 years ago 99% of my collection is still in boxes...with more being added to it daily.
    A Channel Island camo helmet is one that you would recognise as being different to all others. Its not the same as the 3 colour camo Normandie helmets, similar but not the same. A bit like saying a painting is "after Picasso", its similar but different. Unfortunately i don't have one of them to hand either. I did recently post some pictures of a Channel Island camo gas mask case which I guess would give you an idea.
    All the best from Sunny Jersey.
    d.

Quote by JERSEY 34 View Post
    Hi,
    I agree with that myself, I pinched them from one of my files and thats how they came out on screen. i don't have photo's of all my helmets and as yet even having moved house some 4 years ago 99% of my collection is still in boxes...with more being added to it daily.
    A Channel Island camo helmet is one that you would recognise as being different to all others. Its not the same as the 3 colour camo Normandie helmets, similar but not the same. A bit like saying a painting is "after Picasso", its similar but different. Unfortunately i don't have one of them to hand either. I did recently post some pictures of a Channel Island camo gas mask case which I guess would give you an idea.
    All the best from Sunny Jersey.
    d.
    You have to realise that in order to really enjoy your helmet and give decent feedback good pictures are in order. Thumbnails are next to useless and anyone can make a helmet look good on a thumbnail , you are doing a disservice to your collection by posting such tiny pictures.

I know, but the kit is almost inacessable so it will be a while before i can get it out to photograph.
    D.

For me the story is more than unbelievable but I have bad feelings regarding the camo too. Better photos needed to tell more.

Quote by JERSEY 34 View Post
    I know, but the kit is almost inacessable so it will be a while before i can get it out to photograph.
    D.
    Best to put this discussion on hold 'til then methinks....

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Hi Jersey34, the comment about better photos is not to knock the helmet or your experience, but as Frank says, small photos tell nothing of a helmet.

As a long time collector I am sure you would agree that forums are used to misrepresent helmets by those who are less than honourable. Good photos do several things, they protect you and your helmet by clearly showing its features and highlights, it serves the members who benefit from good photos and can learn to tell good from bad, it protects members from those who are out to lighten their wallets with fakes, and it protects the integrity of this forum and its members,

Cheers and I look forward to seeing photos as your time permits! It does look interesting!

Doug

I will see what I can do!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast