Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

3 German helmets

Article about: hi, thanks for your reply. I believe the liner is czech. what do you think about the camo? cheers

Default Re: 3 German helmets

hi, thanks for your reply. I believe the liner is czech. what do you think about the camo? cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 3 German helmets
    P
    Many

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    hi, thanks for your reply. I believe the liner is czech. what do you think about the camo? cheers
    I am sorry to say that to me the wear patterns are from an abrasive, like sand paper and are all over the helmet, and to me the "camo" is something that is recently applied.

Sorry mate

hi, by wear patterns can you explain what you mean? cheers

Hi again,

Where I have circled the spots on the helmet, it looks to me like sanding swirls and striations.

These sort of marks are just a huge red flag for me. You have the helmet in your hands, have a good close look at it and see if in all honesty you can see what looks like sanding marks.

Perhaps I am wrong, and for your sake I wish I was, but to me that is what they look like.

Sorry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3 German helmets  

?

Quote by TestMatch View Post
    Hi again,

Where I have circled the spots on the helmet, it looks to me like sanding swirls and striations.

These sort of marks are just a huge red flag for me. You have the helmet in your hands, have a good close look at it and see if in all honesty you can see what looks like sanding marks.

Perhaps I am wrong, and for your sake I wish I was, but to me that is what they look like.

Sorry
    You really need to post this helmet in it's own thread in the Helmet forum with much better photos in particular closeup's of the paint , it could be a nice camo but i have to say from these photos i think it is a modern repaint etc ,

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

i am also on the fence but with many fake things that have been already pointed out i would have to say their is at least an 80 percent chance it is a fake

I'll get him to get some decent photos in the natural light tomorrow. We are aware that the liner has been replaced. We believed it was a more modern repaint until we saw a similar camo job in a book on normandy. Will try and dig it out and pop a scan of it up.

?

The problem is Vicky many fakers / reenactors etc will copy a camo they see in books , my feeling with this one is that is a reeanactors helmet.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    The problem is Vicky many fakers / reenactors etc will copy a camo they see in books , my feeling with this one is that is a reeanactors helmet.
    Thats fair enough, i will get better pictures tomorrow because its pointless now as its not natural light

Natural light is not good for evaluating camouflage. The best way to capture camo paint is in a well lit room with the flash turned off. Most digital cameras have a macro setting, which would help as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2