Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

3 Piece Gladiator Political Leaders Helmet

Article about: One of my "Grail" helmets, a 3 piece Political Leaders helmet. This one was one of 2 woodwork sourced from the family of the same Vet by a picker in the early "90's". Bot

Default 3 Piece Gladiator Political Leaders Helmet

One of my "Grail" helmets, a 3 piece Political Leaders helmet. This one was one of 2 woodwork sourced from the family of the same Vet by a picker in the early "90's". Both were "3 piece" gladiator shells, and, according the source were taken at the same location in Germany. Jules L. became aware of them and gave Al B. the tip. Al picked this one up, and at some point about 10 years ago it went to a fellow collector in the area in a trade. I confess I was a bit jealous as I had been looking for one ever since 1994, when I first became aware of this type of helmet. In April 1994 I went to Bill Shea's "museum" to pick up a battle damaged DD FJ that I had ordered off of Billy's paper catalogue (you old timers all remember these, from the dark ages before the evolution of the internet). After we completed that transaction Billy said he had another interesting helmet for sale - he called it a "Political Leaders helmet", something I had never heard of before. At that point I was focusing primarily on combat helmets, and had only about 50 helmets in the collection. He pulled out a 3 piece Political Leaders piece, in excellent condition. It was interesting because the welds over the ears on the apron had reinforcement pieces of metal welded to the apron on the interior on both sides. (Does anyone know where that one ended up?) Anyway, I had never seen a brown gladiator L/S and didn't notice that the bird was on the right side of the shell, but was looking forward. I just thought it was a Police type helmet with reverse decals, but I liked it and asked the price. Bill said "2". "That's a sale" was my reply. Billy, who knew my wife from the shows she used to accompany me to said "The Wife is pretty understanding!" I handed him ten twenties and he just stood there for a minute - then dropped the bomb. "You're a bit short Jimmy Boy - eighteen hundred dollars short!" I was shocked and more than a little embarrassed, and backed out of the deal. Later, when I found out what these were I kicked myself - a lot - and have been looking for one ever since. Yesterday my buddy, who is liquidating his extensive collection, let this one go. (Yes, the Wife is VERY understanding - I should have bought the one from Billy in 1994.) Anyway, here it is, a fairly well preserved example of a very rare helmet. Not the most attractive shell type, I really like the look of the one-piece gladiator examples like the one Anders posted a while ago, and would give my left n#% for an M35, but I consider myself very lucky to have the opportunity to be the custodian of this one, and wanted to share it with the group. Hope you like it, Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3 Piece Gladiator Political Leaders Helmet   3 Piece Gladiator Political Leaders Helmet  

3 Piece Gladiator Political Leaders Helmet   3 Piece Gladiator Political Leaders Helmet  

3 Piece Gladiator Political Leaders Helmet   3 Piece Gladiator Political Leaders Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 3 Piece Gladiator Political Leaders Helmet
    P
    Many

Included with this Grail Helmet..should be more importantly your Grail Wife....which Im sure she is 1 in a million..as mine does not fit into that number. I never seen one of these before. Congrats on 2 rarities in your life Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Great helmet Jim.
    Maybe one day I will be lucky to get one.
    chris

never seen one of these before thanks for posting it here

Excellent score in beautiful condition...these are seldom encountered and very desirable...
    Congratulations and thanks for the good photos...
    cheers, Glenn

Very interesting!....

?

A fantastic addition in great condition!!!
    Congrats
    Semper Fi
    Phil

a 1st for me too.marvellous.

?

Nice to see another original one!
    Congrats Jim!