Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advices from camo experts

Article about: Since I saw the first normady camo helmet I have been 100 % sure that I have to get one of these someday. :- ) Do anyone of you guys have a good guideline for what to be aware of when you ar

?

Default Advices from camo experts

Since I saw the first normady camo helmet I have been 100 % sure that I have to get one of these someday. :- ) Do anyone of you guys have a good guideline for what to be aware of when you are buying one of these?

There is so many fakes out there. A lot of them I think is easy to spot. Like this one for example. But what is most important to look after when you got one that looks perfect?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Advices from camo experts  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Advices from camo experts
    P
    Many

Default Re: Advices from camo experts

Go to a reputable dealer who offers a money back guarantee. These things are never cheap, so if your gonna get one, get a good one, there's very few opportunities of picking one of them up for less than a good few grand. Don't get ripped off, play safe.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

My advice would be to study a ton of known originals. The Germans often used the same paint that came with the vehicles, so patterns and colors among camo helmets are often similar. There is a certain wear pattern, hue, and patina that will be engrained in your head after you look at enough originals. After that you should be able to spot a fake with ease.

Quote by ackb View Post
    Since I saw the first normady camo helmet I have been 100 % sure that I have to get one of these someday. :- ) Do anyone of you guys have a good guideline for what to be aware of when you are buying one of these?

There is so many fakes out there. A lot of them I think is easy to spot. Like this one for example. But what is most important to look after when you got one that looks perfect?
    The first thing to unlearn is that not even the most experienced collector can buy camo's with 100% certainty of originality unless it's a woodwork find.
    So always seek forum concensus when buying a camo. You are correct there are many fakes , like the one you have shown in this topic.

For the rest one cannot give many pointers , there are so many variants. I'd start with collecting helmets without camo to get a feel for them.

?

Don't get ripped off, play safe
    . – Probably the best thing to do so far. :- ) Not long ago I was offered one that I think looked good but because I don’t got the investigation skills yet I made a pass.

My advice would be to study a ton of known originals
    . – this weekend I am going to a WW trade fair here in Denmark where I hope there is some good camos so I can start my studying

not even the most experienced collector can buy camo's with 100% certainty of originality
    – Must be terrible to find out that your xxxx dollar camo is fake

?

I agree with Frank, there is no real guideline for camo collecting and even the best dealers have been fooled by good fakes. Buy non camo helmets first to get the feel for paint wear. Camo helmets are by far the most controversial of all helmets to collect and even experienced collectors can disagree on them. Insist on good photos and a money back guarantee. Post your camo helmet before you buy preferably as well to let others more experienced give an opinion.

?

Quote by ackb View Post
    . – this weekend I am going to a WW trade fair here in Denmark where I hope there is some good camos so I can start my studying
    l
    Good luck finding a decent camo at Vandel

?

A better one of those I have seen is this one. In my eyes I can’t tell if something isn’t right. What is your opinion about it? Is this a good and honest example of a Normandy camo helmet or does something look wrong?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Advices from camo experts   Advices from camo experts  

Advices from camo experts   Advices from camo experts  

Advices from camo experts  

?

Good luck finding a decent camo at Vandel.
    Hi Scout, are you also Danish? I have never been to the trade fair in Vandel before. Do people have some good stuff or is it mostly some piece of junk?

Quote by ackb View Post
    A better one of those I have seen is this one. In my eyes I can’t tell if something isn’t right. What is your opinion about it? Is this a good and honest example of a Normandy camo helmet or does something look wrong?
    A fake decal is not something you wish to see on any helmet , that's why you need to study the factory helmets before going to camo collecting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast