Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Aluminium parade helmet or postwar fire?

Article about: No ideas on this one. The pics are not wonderful and I can't get any more. Any help appreciated.

?

Default Aluminium parade helmet or postwar fire?

No ideas on this one. The pics are not wonderful and I can't get any more. Any help appreciated.
    Aluminium parade helmet or postwar fire?Aluminium parade helmet or postwar fire?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Aluminium parade helmet or postwar fire?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Aluminium parade helmet or postwar fire?

In my opinion it is a postwar fire helmet.
    SteveR

Quote by SteveR View Post
    In my opinion it is a postwar fire helmet.
    SteveR
    Yep I have one just like it.

Eric

?

hi al , notice the perforations on the front of the liner ,these are only found on post war liners ...cheers Paul

Post-war helmet advertised on CL as an "Officer's" parade helmet. This is exactly the type of thing I was talking about in that other thread.

Allow me to add one more bit of information:

The five D-shaped leather tabs protruding from underneath the interior leather suspenstion system are another clear sign that it is a fire helmet. These are used to attach the Nackenleder (protective leather cover for the back of the neck) which has corresponding slits.

(I must admit that helmets are not my area of expertise, and I do not know if the Nackenleder was attached by the same means or some other attachment method on 3rd-Reich fire helmets, but be that as it may, the presence of these tabs alone definitely means that you're not looking at an armed forces helmet.)

Here's an example of the interior of a fire/rescue helmet from 1990. Notice the leather attachment tabs as well as the perforations mentioned by Paul:
    Aluminium parade helmet or postwar fire?
    Last edited by HPL2008; 03-31-2011 at 09:04 PM.

?

Aluminium parade helmet or postwar fire?Aluminium parade helmet or postwar fire?i thought this was cleared up on the holes in the head band. though the helmet shown is a post war helmet. the comment on head band holes are only found on post war helmets is incorrect. on pre 1945 m-34 helmets used by fire dept, police and others, with varied liners will have holes in the front of the head band. you will not find holes in the liner band of a combat helmet pre 45, but they are not the only pre 45 german helmets. the m-34 helmet had the neck protector tabs as part of the liner, reguardless of fire dept use or not. and as a rule if the m-43 has a comb on top, it is fire dept, if not it could have been used by a number of other groups.
    andrew

?

Thanks again guys. I saw a similar thread on the forum which showed the holes and was unsure on the rest of the helmet - I still find it hard to see the details you can pick out from a quick glance.

Hi, photos of wartime m34 and post war fire helmet liners for comparison - M34 liner holes are much finer. Cheers
    Aluminium parade helmet or postwar fire?Aluminium parade helmet or postwar fire?

Quote by ppsh33 View Post
    hi al , notice the perforations on the front of the liner ,these are only found on post war liners ...cheers Paul
    That is not true, many TR era civil and light/medium weight helmets had perforations on the forehead section of the leather inserts. Your statement only applies to combat weight helmets. Jim G.