Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Am I missing something here?!? M-42

Article about: Hello all, In a neighboring County I found this M-42 at a antique mall. The gentleman running the booth was very kind, but had many reproduction. Besides this helmet, there wasn't to many go

Default Re: Am I missing something here?!? M-42

Nothing special here,you are quite right,maybe if this guy is only used to priceing up reproductions he got a bit "zapped"when he actually got hold of a genuine item!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Am I missing something here?!? M-42
    P
    Many

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Nothing special here,you are quite right,maybe if this guy is only used to priceing up reproductions he got a bit "zapped"when he actually got hod of a genuine item!!
    My thoughts exactly!

Quote by DougB View Post
    I'd pass altogether. A nice no decal with strap can be found for $500. I sold 3 near perfect examples for $500 a pop not long ago.
    Doug, at shows here - for $500 - all I've ever found are 'half relic'
    helmets with no straps, 25-30% decals and rotted liners.

Complete post-war Norwegian lids sell for $400.........
    Regards,

Steve.

in the image of the liner looks like to me its missing one of the chin strap bails. if so you would need to find one to put a strap on it. but dose not look like theres no dings in the steel but theres a bit of paint missing around in spots of the lid. look if i came across it i would says these things and state that a real chin strap would cost a bit to, if you wanted to put one on it. but look ive gotten excited about stuff before and then got it home and thought what did i get. and i do think there will be much better m42s out there at a better price. or just say to him i dont mean to be rood but this is what i would like to pay for this and give him your price. ive often came across dealers that make you fell there doing you a faver but at the end of the day we have the upper hand being a buyer. i like to think.

?

Waaay overpriced IMO, $400 tops would be my best offer.
    It lacks many of the features that make a complete helmet, such as 1 x chinstrap bail,
    1 x chinstrap, and 1 x drawstring. Also looks like the liner band is damaged/distorted where
    it comes away from the shell just past the rivet (possibly from someone trying to read the maker and date)

Brad.
    Last edited by Lidman; 12-04-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks again everyone for the comments. I know it's nobody's job here to help me or anyone for that matter and nobody here gets payed for doing this, that's for sure. I tried to do as much research as possible before starting this thread which has helped me learn so much. I owe this to this forum. I can't stress how much this forum has taught and helped me and my hobby, and in so many ways.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 07-04-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Great to know we are a help,that said i think as members of this valuable community of collectors it is ALL of our jobs to help each other out with our thoughts and experince.I for one do not want to see anyone here(myself included)get burnt with any peice that is not what we thought it to be!Ask,question and learn is the way for us all to move forward in this area!

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Doug, at shows here - for $500 - all I've ever found are 'half relic'
    helmets with no straps, 25-30% decals and rotted liners.

Complete post-war Norwegian lids sell for $400.........
    Show prices are unreasonable I find. That said I'm not into this hobby to make money, I sold them for what I paid for them or lost money. Either way Dave Shirlins site often has nice complete no decals for $500 and they sell fast. That's who sold mine for me.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Show prices are unreasonable I find. That said I'm not into this hobby to make money, I sold them for what I paid for them or lost money. Either way Dave Shirlins site often has nice complete no decals for $500 and they sell fast. That's who sold mine for me.
    So those M42s ND lid Dave had were yours? They really were nice lids. I would have picked one up if I didn't already have a complete one. The price was very good. I paid slightly more for mine but whatever.

If you want an M42 be patient and find a better example for less. If you don't then pass on this one. Doug recommended a very good dealer in Dave Shirlins.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast