Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Another M33 Duckbill Stabswache helmet

Article about: by Anders Sorry but I have seen photos from the time with both M16 and M18 + Austrian helmets shells shown.. Sorry Anders, I was a bit ambiguous in my post. By combat shells, I meant no civi

?

Default Another M33 Duckbill Stabswache helmet

Jim showed his helmet here:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...e-rohm-406767/

I post my example of these rare helmets. Those decals can't been good, nearly all examples have most off or parts off the decals missing..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another M33 Duckbill Stabswache helmet   Another M33 Duckbill Stabswache helmet  

Another M33 Duckbill Stabswache helmet   Another M33 Duckbill Stabswache helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another M33 Duckbill Stabswache helmet
    P
    Many

?

Looks like the decals were more or less deliberately removed.

Nice Anders, I've only ever seen your's and Jim's. As you say, the decals must have been pretty poor quality. No lacquer on either example either which can't have helped things. Still a fantastically rare one, I'd take one in any condition I think

?

So the decal deteriorated more so than were being obscured through deliberate action.

That would actually tie in well with the lack of scratches around the decal.

Man, that's a cringe. So sad about the insig. Without doubt one of the rarest helmets on the planet.

I am not a helmet expert, in no way. But from photographs I know (some I did
    show in my book "Ringkragen und Brustschilder im Dritten Reich") , I can
    see the Stabswache- or Feldherrnhalle helmets did not have the double
    ventilation-holes. The decal was just beneath the one hole! Just an observation of
    mine!

The same observation goes for helmets in use with Feldgendarmerie or whatever!

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    I am not a helmet expert, in no way. But from photographs I know (some I did
    show in my book "Ringkragen und Brustschilder im Dritten Reich") , I can
    see the Stabswache- or Feldherrnhalle helmets did not have the double
    ventilation-holes. The decal was just beneath the one hole! Just an observation of
    mine!

The same observation goes for helmets in use with Feldgendarmerie or whatever!
    This one is 1000% correct. Of the 4 examples of this type of helmet on M33 duckbill shells that I know (mine, Al Barrows', Jules L.'s and Anders' helmets) ALL have dual 7 hole vents on each side. Al Barrows' example also has nearly 95% of each decal. I have seen one period photo with several of these on a staircase, and they were all the same type of shell as these. I have also seen one on a Himmler style shell (the one in the Baer book) in hand, and pictures of one on a droop bill shell. I think that it is very irresponsible to suggest that a helmet is not correct simply because you have seen pictures of examples on a different style shell, especially with the admission, in the same breath, that you lack the expertise to render an opinion on the authenticity of a rare helmet. That is one of the problems with forums. When a RARE - and REAL - helmet is posted, often someone questions its authenticity because that individual hasn't seen one before. When that happens, forum members with rare pieces are discouraged from sharing them. I realize that when one posts a piece on a forum it invites members to comment, analyze, express opinions, question, etc., but posters should also exercise some degree of responsibility and not spout off observations that are not supported by the facts. I guess I should end my rant now. I will, therefore, do so, with the final comment of GREAT HELMET Anders, one of the very few known examples of an incredibly rare, and REAL Stabswache Rohm helmet. Jim G.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Looks like the decals were more or less deliberately removed.
    There are very few surviving examples of Stabswache Rohm helmets, and on nearly all at least the Red Adler decal, which I believe is what identifies it as a Stabswache ROHM piece, has been intentionally defaced, or, as on my example, nearly entirely removed. I believe that the Adler decal was intentionally obliterated on these after the Night of the Long Knives, when Rohm, and many other SA members were murdered on Hitler's order. Jim G.

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    I just told what I observe about ventilation holes with photographs where helmets are being worn by Stabswache
    and later Feldherrnhalle.
    I do not question authenticity, but then show me photographs where a ventilation helmet is being worn and in use!
    In close-up if possible!

Attachment 662872

Attachment 662873

Attachment 662874

I thought a forum is meant to comment. Observations are apparently not appreciated!
    Interesting pictures, but the Stabswache example clearly is an entirely different commercial shell type, probably a Himmler style shell. The FHH examples are on combat shells. Your original post stated that from what you had seen, these helmets "did not have double-ventilation holes". That, to me, appears to be a suggestion that the one that started the thread is not real. All your pictures show is that a different style shell was also adourned with these specific SA decals. Perhaps you did not mean to question this helmet. If so, a better way to have worded your post would have been to say that there are period photos of this type of helmet on a different style shell. My point is that to say that this type of helmet "did not" have dual vents suggests to one not familiar with this type of helmet that the one posted was not good. Anyway, I am not going to continue arguing about this on the open forum, as it detracts from the stellar helmet that was posted by Anders. Also, if the Mods would like, I am fine with my posts being removed from the thread, I just felt compelled to comment on the post that I thought unfairly disparaged the helmet. Jim G.
    Last edited by helmet2id; 03-19-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Given the nature of equipment supply for the SA (and SS for that matter) at the time contemporary to these being used, I would imagine many types of helmet would be worn with the decals shown in this thread. M16/18 shells, commercial interwar shells ie Himmler style, M33 etc. In the early TR period before the M35 was available, paramilitary groups very much took what was available after the emerging Wehrmacht had their pick of equipment. I doubt they could afford to insist on any one particular helmet style.

I think I'm right in saying all FHH helmets are combat models.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast