Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another M42 for comments .....

Article about: Hi again, No, I didn't buy ANOTHER M42 this week - this is one that I've had for years but because of it's condition it was packed away in a cupboard and only wifey telling me to "clear

Default Another M42 for comments .....

Hi again,

No, I didn't buy ANOTHER M42 this week - this is one that I've had for years but because of it's condition it was packed away in a cupboard and only wifey telling me to "clear out some space" that I was reminded of it ..... so here it is.

Just a basic SE64, lot No 2887 with what looks like a penciled 'FP5'???? above it but unmolested other than ( sigh ) the liner & straps.

So I am wondering why the liner would have been torn out and the chinstraps cut / broken when the leather is still fairly good ( dry but not THAT brittle ) Then after I bought my other Hkp M42 this week which may have blood stains I wondered whether this was the reason the liner was gone? Maybe it was a corpse cut bring back???? ( I got NO background when I bought it )

Any thoughts?

Dan

- - Updated - -

Sorry, make that EF64 .......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another M42 for comments .....   Another M42 for comments .....  

Another M42 for comments .....   Another M42 for comments .....  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another M42 for comments .....
    P
    Many

Default Re: Another M42 for comments .....

That could very well be the case Dan, the soilder would want to carry around a trophy with a blood soaked liner. Certainly greater chance of being the case with the cut chinstrap as well. Any faint stains in the dome?

Nice looking lid none the less.

Hi Jason,
    Here are a few more photos - there seems to be some dribble stains / rusting and a few spots ( no pooling though ) so I don't really know whether that's what blood looks like??? ....but why else they would it have had it's guts torn out?

Cheers, Dan

( BTW, waiting to see your latest acquisition you told be about! )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another M42 for comments .....   Another M42 for comments .....  

Another M42 for comments .....  

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Hi Jason,
    Here are a few more photos - there seems to be some dribble stains / rusting and a few spots ( no pooling though ) so I don't really know whether that's what blood looks like??? ....but why else they would it have had it's guts torn out?

Cheers, Dan

( BTW, waiting to see your latest acquisition you told be about! )
    All in good time Dan, all in good time. Should be somewhere in the air as we speak can't wait myself.

I am just about to pop out for abit bit I will take a pic of mine with some stain/shadow marks in the dome. No other real reason for it to be gone really, unless it was a particularly large mouse in the post war years

It may have well been bloodstained, it's always a good indicator to see a cut strap. I doubt those are signs of blood in the dome, but you never know. Another great looking helmet!

?

That's a good looking ND M42
    I can only agree that the most likely reason to remove the leather, would be blood staining.
    I don't think vet wanted the gruesome reminder left inside.

Brad.

Got around to taking some pics of one of mine that is very similar. The difference for me is I actually have the liner thats fallen our because of the blood. Its an M42 in a dark grey green with winter whitewash. You can see how the liquid has marked the dome, leaving a ghost of the liner tongues on the paint. Also the red/brown rust around the edges also is a sign of the damage. You can also see the evidence on the liner itself,as the iron in blood degrades and eats away at the leather.

I will bring up the other topic about a blood damage helmet with my luftwaffe lid as well

Jason
    Another M42 for comments .....Another M42 for comments .....Another M42 for comments .....Another M42 for comments .....Another M42 for comments .....

Hey Jase,
    That looks very much like what the edge of the liner does on mine ( minus the tongue stains on the lid )
    I think you've solved the mystery pal ........ ta muchly!
    Dan

?

After seeing Jason's example, it would be hard to find any other explanation
    Thanks for that.

Brad.

I know a lot of soldiers drunk from their helmet. They put it in a river or other water facilities and drunk from it. that can be the case why a lot of insides are wasting away. Some like the tought of blood inside their helmet. Some don't.
    =^)

regards kim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast