Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

An Answer For The Much Debated Spray Painted Camo Helmets? A Rare Period Photo!

Article about: It's been much debated about camo helmets and spray paint guns, but until Now, I have never, that I can recall, seen an actual Photo of a period German Spray Painter Gun in action! I was muc

Default An Answer For The Much Debated Spray Painted Camo Helmets? A Rare Period Photo!

It's been much debated about camo helmets and spray paint guns, but until Now, I have never, that I can recall, seen an actual Photo of a period German Spray Painter Gun in action! I was much surprised to see this photo on a Czech website and thought that I should post it here for others to see. It is not, unfortunately, being used on Helmets, but it certainly Could have been and almost Certainly Must have been the same or similar to those used to apply the camo patterns. This one, as can be seen, was being used in the Deschler and Son plant in Munich to paint Iron Cross cores. It does beg the question, of course, as to whether the spray paint camo patterns were applied in the Field or back "home", but if they were painted, This is how they Must have Been painted! Were they painted in large groups? Individually? As said, in the Field? At Home? All unresolved points, but an excellent start, nonetheless! So then....take a look at a Rare photo of the elusive War-era small German Spray Paint Gun!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An Answer For The Much Debated Spray Painted Camo Helmets? A Rare Period Photo!  
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement An Answer For The Much Debated Spray Painted Camo Helmets? A Rare Period Photo!
    P
    Many

Nice picture Wagriff thanks for posting question to me at least is that is a factory picture would you think these type guns would be available at the combat field level? I have seen a few period pictures of vehicle spray guns being used to paint helmets I don't know. timothy

That's a phaser.

It's got a large air line hose clamped on it, but I can't see any reason that it couldn't run out in the field as well. Certainly, they had air compressors-it would be kind of hard to inflate truck tires, for example, without one around somewhere out there. The camo pattern helmets that you always see look to be from a fine spray nozzle such as the one being used here. As you say, there Are photos of the large vehicle style painters being used, but it's hard to imagine such guns making the fine patchwork patterns such as the so-called Normandy camo. However, This gun in the photo could do it and likely May have. It's small enough that a Woman is holding and using it-and yet it is industrially built for heavy usage.

So, now, guys....get out there and find a nice German marked and/or made gun Itself! One would certainly make for a Great display piece amongst a helmet collection!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Don't forget the airbrushing of porcelain figures!

This was 1950 but certainly the same existed in earlier decades?
    The first one was made in 1893!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An Answer For The Much Debated Spray Painted Camo Helmets? A Rare Period Photo!  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hi William, that is a very interesting image that you have found there. I see no reason at all why a smaller gun like this may not have been used "in the field". Let's not forget that "in the field" is not necessarily at the bottom of a water filled ditch. A field camp located next to a factory full of these spray guns may well have "borrowed" one or two. Leon.

Whilst the guy spraying the Jagdpanther tank here appears to be using a smaller spray gun (albeit with a different and larger suction type reservoir), the chap painting the DAK helmets appears to be using one EXACTLY the same size and type as the young lady, including using a gravity feed reservoir. I see no argument here.....

An Answer For The Much Debated Spray Painted Camo Helmets? A Rare Period Photo!An Answer For The Much Debated Spray Painted Camo Helmets? A Rare Period Photo!An Answer For The Much Debated Spray Painted Camo Helmets? A Rare Period Photo!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Another gravity fed spray gun being used in the field, well in a barn at least.

Was there ever really a good argument that spray guns weren't around/weren't used during WWII? I do like the photos, but who could ever really argue against spray painted camo helmets in the first place?

Quote by fallbarbarossa View Post
    Was there ever really a good argument that spray guns weren't around/weren't used during WWII? I do like the photos, but who could ever really argue against spray painted camo helmets in the first place?
    Short answer. No.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast