MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Is this authentic? Helmet from Cracow, Poland.

Article about: Hello. I'm amateur and got this helmet as a present from my friend. He bought this somewhere in Cracow, Poland. Can someone tell me if it's authentic? Thanks.

The following site will really assist you if you want to learn about the various types of helmets and their differences. I highly recommend you spend some time there as it’s a wonderful learning tool with great images. German Helmet Vault – Collecting German WW2 helmets

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this authentic? Helmet from Cracow, Poland.
    P
    Many

I would ask is the OP really interested and wanting to learn about German helmets?

Adravor and Andy - great replies....thank you. There’s always a possibility that the original Poster is long gone.....but how much longer did your replies take to Post.....

Well done

?

Thanks for everyone for great feedback. Andy, i will check this site, thank you.

There are so many issues with this helmet that it would take an hour to go through them. When a piece is a dangerous fake, i.e. a piece meant to deceive that would be hard detect as a fake, detailed explanations are warranted and are willingly given by forum members. I am of the opinion, however, that collectors also have the obligation to do some homework on their own. There are pinned threads on this forum regarding decals (the decals on the thread starter are terrible fakes), helmet shell types (the shell on the thread starter is WAY off), liners (again the liner in the thread starter is so obviously different than real liners), etc. New collectors should do some research, take the time to read the pinned threads and other threads and learn. There are great reference books available. The experienced forum members generously share their time and knowledge. New collectors should take their own time to try to learn the basics.

MAP
    ?

Quote by side View Post
    Thanks for everyone for great feedback. Andy, i will check this site, thank you.
    This forum has just as much information and more buried in hundreds if not thousands of threads.

But the link Andy provided is a fantastic tool for accurate and informative information in a quick and easy to digest format. Start at the "Helmet 101" section linked at the top of the page. It's a daunting task to truly master all the detail and takes years...but as Helmet2id noted, after some study using the resources here and that link, you should quickly come up the curve to know the basics. And 99% of the bad helmets easily fail the "basic test". Like the one you posted.

Member Composite is 100% correct in point out the need to provide informative answers, as many people posting, it is there first foray into this hobby and while to us is a common 1,000 yard eyesore, to them it is just the first step in this hobby.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

This particular Chinese fake has been around for quite a long time and some, like this one do have some patina now and can trip up the novice. The odd "pin hole" vents are probably the easiest give away to beware of. Terrible decals as well.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    There are so many issues with this helmet that it would take an hour to go through them. When a piece is a dangerous fake, i.e. a piece meant to deceive that would be hard detect as a fake, detailed explanations are warranted and are willingly given by forum members. I am of the opinion, however, that collectors also have the obligation to do some homework on their own. There are pinned threads on this forum regarding decals (the decals on the thread starter are terrible fakes), helmet shell types (the shell on the thread starter is WAY off), liners (again the liner in the thread starter is so obviously different than real liners), etc. New collectors should do some research, take the time to read the pinned threads and other threads and learn. There are great reference books available. The experienced forum members generously share their time and knowledge. New collectors should take their own time to try to learn the basics.
    In my opinion, half the fun of collecting militaria is doing your own research to find out about what you have - or what you might be intending to purchase... it can be more absorbing than the actual purchase! The time to ask for help is when you cannot find the information you need. I have always been prepared to help anyone if they are stuck, and in the past few years I have had both private messages and emails seeking my advice, and all have been answered. The problem is, if you give some of them the news they do not want to hear, they are often not very forthcoming in thanking you for the help you have given to them. This attitude that some members have is what makes some of us so cynical in our replies, although I do appreciate that not everyone seeking help is like this. A good starting point for any new collector should be first to acquire a good set of reference books in their chosen subject.

Cheers,
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2