Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bahnschutz Polizei

Article about: Guys, I expect this is wrong but you never know. I don't like that the national emblem is not straight but I know that this is not always 100 % correct depending on the individual that appli

Default Bahnschutz Polizei

Guys,

I expect this is wrong but you never know. I don't like that the national emblem is not straight but I know that this is not always 100 % correct depending on the individual that applied it.

I have had it for 10plus years which I know means nothing but can help to date when copies flooded the market or when a particular fake appeared.

The orange rust around the rivets is my fault for keeping it in a damp cellar.

On the plus side I have in all my time over here not seen more than one other helmet of this type with the single vent.

The helmet has no maker marks that I can see....

Over to the forum

Regards

Jock
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bahnschutz Polizei   Bahnschutz Polizei  

Bahnschutz Polizei   Bahnschutz Polizei  

Bahnschutz Polizei   Bahnschutz Polizei  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bahnschutz Polizei
    P
    Many

Default Re: Bahnschutz Polizei

Jock-
    The helmet appears ok to me. I owned the transitional Bahnschutz helmet that shows up in most of the helmet reference books. The decal on my old helmet is almost a perfect match. You may not get many replies as few have seen a genuine example.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Bob,

Thanks for the info it is reassuring that you think its ok, are they that rare? I must admit I have only seen M42s going on ebay from Austria so have no term of reference. I must get a book. I got it in a swap for some of my old Gulf war one uniform.

Regards

Jock

Bob, The Transitional BS that you once owned is not, by any chance, the one in the Goodapple Weingard and Ludwig Baer books? I am now the proud owner of that one, having picked it up from a well known collector for an fair amount of cash and an M18 reissued to the Finns with small painted skull and bones over static swastica insignia on the sides. If I can ever learn how to scan pictures I will try to post pics of the decals as I agree, the ones on Jock's helmet do look good. I would like it better if the helmet were painted that odd BS blue, but I think some Bahnschutz helmets were not, and I have also seen a no decal M40 painted in that blue color that must have been a BS helmet as well, which shows that the regs regarding helmet adornment for the BS was not always rigidly followed. Jim

Jim,

What sort of value would you put on the one I have and do you have a photo of the blue colour you refer to. I take it it is not the dark blue LS colour?

Regards

Jock

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Bob, The Transitional BS that you once owned is not, by any chance, the one in the Goodapple Weingard and Ludwig Baer books? I am now the proud owner of that one, having picked it up from a well known collector for an fair amount of cash and an M18 reissued to the Finns with small painted skull and bones over static swastica insignia on the sides. If I can ever learn how to scan pictures I will try to post pics of the decals as I agree, the ones on Jock's helmet do look good. I would like it better if the helmet were painted that odd BS blue, but I think some Bahnschutz helmets were not, and I have also seen a no decal M40 painted in that blue color that must have been a BS helmet as well, which shows that the regs regarding helmet adornment for the BS was not always rigidly followed. Jim
    Jim-
    That is the helmet I once owned. It came from the Southside of Chicago in the early 1960's. I bought it from Bob's Military Hobbys in 1961. The proprietor, Bob Gramberg, who still does the Max and SOS, sold it to me for $8.00. Bob published a book in 1962, "Collectors Handbook On German Military Relics(Nazi Regime)." The helmet is shown on page 83. It was sold along with my other helmets to Steve Dukes of Anaheim, California, in 1973.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bahnschutz Polizei   Bahnschutz Polizei  

BOB

?

1961. If I remember right in this area german helmets were $2.00. $8.00 would have been a healthy sum for a helmet. Ah the good old days.
    Steve

Quote by SteveR View Post
    1961. If I remember right in this area german helmets were $2.00. $8.00 would have been a healthy sum for a helmet. Ah the good old days.
    Steve

In Chicago, a helmet with no decals was $3.00, with a decal $5.00 and double decal $10.00-military only of course. A single decal SS helmet was $25.00. I never saw a double decal SS helmet back in those days. Beat up combat helmets were less as no one wanted them. Minty examples were the helmet of the day.
    BOB

?

The local antique gun and sword dealers around the tri-state area and the local gunshow dealers would look at you kind of funny when you asked about German items if they weren't firearms. Out here in the boondocks the dealers were happy to sell German items off to be rid of them.
    Remember the 5 and 10 dollar Japanese swords ? The 60's and early 70's when you could cherry pick at the gun shows and buy ancient swords for chump change.
    In the 70's I sold a fellow named Fumio Demura military blades for $30.00 each. He had a martial arts show on TV out in LA and used them in choreographed sword fights. They would get big nicks in them and he would grind them down and use them till they broke.
    Oh well I am getting away from helmets and beginning to ramble. Really showing my age now.

Jock, I will try to post pictures of the BS this weekend. As far as value, I am hesitant to put a figure on yours as I am a collector, and not really the right one to ask. I know that 2 years ago I traded a Finnish helmet that I would guess would have fetched > $1,000 and $3,500 cash for mine, but it had a 40 year provenance and is in many reference books. I know a real blue M18 Bahnschutz, identical in configuration to mine, but with decals at only about 50-60% on each side, recently sold on ebay for a little over $1,600. I know it was real because a friend of mine outbid me for it, "the crumb!", and it sits on his shelf next to another original BS helmet, also configured identically to mine. I have seen a few repro BS helmets at shows recently, and one was the same type of shell as yours, but the decals on that one were unquestionably fake (the party shield was not elongated and the winged wheels were extremely crude and way out of proportion), whereas the decals on yours look fine, as Bob stated. The other repro was an M34 square dip, stir with the original black paint, and cheesy repro decals affixed where the police decals had obviously been scraped off. Anyway, I will try to post color pictures this weekend. Jim

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast