Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Battle damaged size 66/59 liner

Article about: This liner arrived yesterday, I planned on putting it in my SD Heer M42 shell, and I still will, but the seller's site made not mention of it being a battle damaged liner, I personally thoug

Quote by Anderson View Post
    For what it's worth the RB Nr 0/0258?/2917 suggests Berlin manufacture.
    Thanks for that info, Anderson.

Luis

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Battle damaged size 66/59 liner
    P
    Many

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    So the liner came as is, and then was placed in to the M42 shell by yourself?
    I can see the M42 in the photo at the start of the pictures. Possibly there was some confusion as this appears first and then the liner afterwards.
    Nick
    Yes, it did.
    I mean just read the first line of my post, that would've explained everything there and then actually
    I guess he just looked at the pictures ignoring the text completely and started furiously typing away
    Luis

Just as a side note, in the pictures where the liner is shown in the helmet, you can see that there is no split pin holding it in, at least at the rear of the shell.
    Luis

I don’t see any problems with what you are doing Luis as you aren’t taking liners out of original shells but you are learning a lot about them which is a good thing. I’ve never actually handled a liner and band so you’re one up on me.

Here’s a photo of shrapnel damaged shell and liner band from my collection. A DD M35.

Battle damaged size 66/59 liner

Good, that you see it the same way, Andy.
    I mean that's rule no.1 of helmet collecting : Never take the liner out if you can avoid it.
    I do indeed kind of like studying them and looking at the differences between the makers and also years and conditions, but it's not like I have had that many yet.
    But gives you a better understanding if you've for example restored or assembled a liner.
    I mean you can get liner bands for cheap, so maybe you could get one, but then, well at least I always have the urge to look for a matching shell to put it into
    That's a cool helmet you have there, really nice relic.
    Luis

I agree with you Luis. It's a great way to learn... "hands on". When I was your age, I pulled out many liners just to look at them. Of course that was 1974-75 when helmets were $30. Can't do that these days.
    D.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2