Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

beaded combat police helmet

Article about: by davejb Thats interesting, so what your saying is that these helmets are a two piece construction and then joined at the bead correct? I think what gunerfly is refering to are the gladiato

Default Re: beaded combat police helmet

Quote by davejb View Post
    Thats interesting, so what your saying is that these helmets are a two piece construction and then joined at the bead correct? I think what gunerfly is refering to are the gladiator style of helmets which have a one two and three piece construction to them
    Dave,

No, sorry I have been unclear, they are the respective helmets be they 35s,40s or 42s but at some point before they leave the factory they are failed ballisticaly due to production error or inherant flaws in the steel and they then appear to be diverted down a separate line where they are beaded to either add strength to the helmet or for ease of identification of a sub standard production? Given most seem to end up as LS or Fire brigade then I could see the bead adding strength to a weak shell that might not need to stop a splinter but might fend off falling masonary and beams etc? Who knows the logic but if you own one you will if you look hard enough find some irregularity in the shell.

Jock

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement beaded combat police helmet
    P
    Many

?

Ive really got a bee in my bonnet now about owning one, how much do they cost in relation to combat helmets?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Ive really got a bee in my bonnet now about owning one, how much do they cost in relation to combat helmets?
    Dave,

I don't know as I swap for most of my stuff, if you search for M35 Kradmelder (despatch rider) or the version you want you might find one that way as they are often described as that in Germany.

Happy hunting

Jock

I, for one, love the beaded double decal police helmet. Take a look at this sold example from germanwarhelmet. It has a great worn look and superb color. I refer to this pic often. I hope they don't mind me borrowing this pic. rick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture beaded combat police helmet  

gunerfly
    ?

In response to Mauser98k I think its third paragraph down on the left. This is only ONE site I read before commenting. There is other info about how they are made out there in cyber world. try google and wikipedia

German-Helmets.com

And sorry for upsetting delicate people in here by using the word fools, I have been told off, as apparently its a bad word. If you ever saw MR T in the tv program A Team you would gain the perspective I used.... as in I PITY THE FOOLS Who cant think before getting upset.Enjoy your helmets people

Hi Guys,

These "beaded" helmets, as has already been said, are from shells that had already been manufactured and rejected. These shells were rejected for one reason or another and because a fair bit of work had already gone into making the shell, it was thought to be a better option to reuse these in one fashion or another rather than just remelt them back down and start over.

They were placed into a special jig and had the bead stretched around them, so that they were never mistakenly mixed into the military contract helmets.

These helmets are not two pieces welded together, they are just defective helmets that didn't pass quality control, were altered with the bead, and were used for private purchase, or issued to para military organisations like the luftshutze or the civilian police to name a few.

Hope this helps answer a couple of your questions.

As an aside, if you can find a period picture of one actually ever being used in a combat unit, I would love to see it

Regards,

Spence

Spence, All kinds of helmets were issued to those poor bastards sent into combat in the last ditch defense of the Reich. On the history channel I have seen footage of Volksturm troops, with panzerfausts on their shoulders, going into combat with beaded helmets, gladiator type helmets, M34's, etc. I guess that they decided that anything to protect the squash was better than nothing! I have 2 beaded helmets that were repainted with a late war combat green paint, one of which actually has traces of 3 (!) Heer decals! I haven't seen any photos of regular Army personnel with beaded helmets, but I believe that they were, indeed, used in combat at the end of the war. Jim Geanuracos

Hi Jim,

I know the subject of beaded helmets being used in combat compared with, beaded helmets being used by combat troops is controversial

I realise that the Volksturm ended up in last ditch struggles and so did the luftshutz and civilian police etc. and they were wearing anything at that point, but I have just never seen a convincing picture of regular German combat troops wearing a beaded helmet.

I am more than happy if somebody can post up some pics to show me some examples of them being worn, except by civilian police, volksturm or luftshutz personnel in combat situations. Another photo I would like to see one day is a period photo with one having an M31 liner in it. I have seen some in hand with these liners, but as far as I know they have been fitted post war, as the beaded helmets always had the civilian liner fitted if my knowledge and library are up to date?

It is an interesting topic, as they are a nice looking helmet, but like I said, I just don't consider them a true combat helmet. They are what they are, and should be enjoyed and collected for just that, IMHO

Cheers,

Spence

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3