Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Beaded helmet production........ myths & mayhem

Article about: No, I'm NOT reigniting the debate over whether or not these were MEANT to have the bead in or done to identify them as ballistic rejects - everyone has their side of the fence on that one -

Default Beaded helmet production........ myths & mayhem

No, I'm NOT reigniting the debate over whether or not these were MEANT to have the bead in or done to identify them as ballistic rejects - everyone has their side of the fence on that one - but I did want to show ( like my comments on the lot stamping method ) the sort of tools probably used to create the bead.

Beaded helmet production........ myths & mayhem

The above machine is a "bead roller". these are used to roll a stiffening bead or rib or ridge into a piece of sheet metal and are standard equipment for the metal fabricator. Possibly a mechanical version of one of these would have been used to roll the bead into the shells. This is the same way the rolled edge was done on the M35 / M40 models, just with different dies.

Of interest is that the various manufacturers did not have the same machines - or dies. We know this because the beads are different shapes.
    Look at the following ......

Beaded helmet production........ myths & mayhemBeaded helmet production........ myths & mayhemBeaded helmet production........ myths & mayhemBeaded helmet production........ myths & mayhem

Anyway, there you go - another bit of helmet trivia from 'Downunder Dan'

Cheers all!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Beaded helmet production........ myths & mayhem
    P
    Many

mpw
    ?

Not something I have really thought about before. Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Regards, Mark.

Quote by Danmark View Post

The above machine is a "bead roller". these are used to roll a stiffening bead or rib or ridge into a piece of sheet metal and are standard equipment for the metal fabricator. Possibly a mechanical version of one of these would have been used to roll the bead into the shells. This is the same way the rolled edge was done on the M35 / M40 models, just with different dies.

Of interest is that the various manufacturers did not have the same machines - or dies. We know this because the beads are different shapes.

- another bit of helmet trivia from 'Downunder Dan'

Cheers all!!
    I'll try to show you "the" original machine asap !

;-)
    K
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Hi Dan

Oh, how I am sorry I missed the debate over the explanation of beaded helmets. Will look for the thread, any idea how long ago it was ?
    Not going to "Kick up the dust"....I just want to read what some of the theories were.

Nice topic Dan , so from your experience how much 'extra' work would there be involved to add this bead ?

3 minutes!
    ;-)
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by real steel View Post
    Hi Dan

Oh, how I am sorry I missed the debate over the explanation of beaded helmets. Will look for the thread, any idea how long ago it was ?
    Not going to "Kick up the dust"....I just want to read what some of the theories were.
    This that thread David - started by ....gulp....me!!!

Types of beaded Luftschutz helmets??

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Nice topic Dan , so from your experience how much 'extra' work would there be involved to add this bead ?
    Hi Frank,

Well it would be amongst the slowest of the steps I guess as it had to be done one at a time and certainly would disrupt the "Ford-like" production lines the factories had in place. But in that oft referenced You tube movie on helmet production ( where you see them rolling the edge bead / folding it with a hammer )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baMmJyqQy90 ( 0:57 to 1:05 ) it could keep pace with the others if you had enough rolling machines.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    This that thread David - started by ....gulp....me!!!

Types of beaded Luftschutz helmets??
    What do you mean by "Gulp" ? I found it informative, interesting, logical & will read the entire thread again at a later date. I thought your explanations were a bit difficult to comprehend, but sounds like you know about the process.

I myself think they were just purposedly produced from a cheaper grade of steel for civil use, the bead was the identification of such, hence the civic style liners & weak cheap chinstraps

Well done Dan, another informative thread on possible production methods. Leon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast