Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Beaded M40 Luftschutz FOUND IN GARBAGE!

Article about: Hello all! It has happened again. This time, it appears I saved a beaded M40 Luftschutz from the scrap heap. I do not remember the batch number off hand, but it was an ET64 Now for the bad n

Default Re: Beaded M40 Luftschutz FOUND IN GARBAGE!

Here are the better pictures of the Beaded M40 Luftschutz as promised. What do you guys think of it? The THREE different colors of paint ... (Luftschutz blue on the inside of the dome, apple green on the inside of the skirt, and black on the entire outside), and the weird decals have me stumped...

Is this supposed to be an SS decal?

Is this supposed to be a party decal?

This one came out blurry... sorry guys.

Here you can see the apple green skirt and blue dome

ET64

Lot # 5057

Named liner

Some of the cork on the inside is damaged

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Beaded M40 Luftschutz FOUND IN GARBAGE!
    P
    Many

?

wow, this is really neat, I'm very interested in hearing opinions on the decals!

?

Well, it appears to has a national flag shield which a typically on ss helmets. As for the damage, I think you may be able to have a professional bang out those dents and have the liner repaired if it's worth it to you.
    ~Dean

Large X style skateboard stickers on either side?

Quote by tbk0000 View Post
    Large X style skateboard stickers on either side?
    That's pretty much what I thought at first. Honestly, I thought it was a movie prop from that movie xXx with Vin Diesel.

BUT if you look closer, it looks like the black paint was stripped in an X shape to reveal the decals... the X shape reveals apple green paint that matches the paint on the inside skirt of the helmet.

This helmet has me totally stumped!

Does anyone think the dents can be hammered out and this helmet can be restored?

Not SS, there never were beaded SS lids to my knowledge. It was originally blue (the inner dome is the original factory issue paint), and repainted green at some point. I can't tell if the green is TR or post was Danish. The party shield looks like it may be real, so it may have been a reissued reverse decal beaded L/S combat police helmet. If the decals are real it is pretty neat, because they are "set back" behind the vents and reversed! The black paint is definitely post war. I would strip that to see what is under it. Be really care over the decals, or what is left of them. I have never done it myself, so I don't know what should be used. Maybe others can give you some pointers. Just my thoughts. Keep up the good work on saving these historic treasures, I just read that you saved a Bronze Star set recently! I just don't know how a family can discard such heirlooms. I recently was at a tag sale, and bought a bronze star in the presentation box from the vet's son. The vet was in the 10th Armored Division, and was just admitted to a home. The son said he wanted to get rid of the old man's "junk" and let the medal go for $10. I am almost exclusively a helmet guy, and I felt guilty buying it, but it was going to "go" to someone, so that someone turned out to be me. I just don't get it. Cheers, Jim G.

We were able to save the original paint and parts of the decals hiding under the bogus black paint. This is our progress so far:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2