Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Black M40, ET for Discussion

Article about: It's been a while since I have posted a helmet for true discussion, rather than just showing one that I already knew what it was. This M40 I picked up about a year ago from a whole mess of h

Default Black M40, ET for Discussion

It's been a while since I have posted a helmet for true discussion, rather than just showing one that I already knew what it was. This M40 I picked up about a year ago from a whole mess of helmets, a mix and match collection of noodle protectors. This one has sat on the shelf for a year and now is the time to discuss. I believe an ET M40 with lot # 122 is a KM helmet, but you never know for certain. I'd like to hear some comments to argue one way or the other. Split pins, liner and strap all appear original and not messed with. Liner band dated 1940. Let me know if you need additional pics, especially of the decal. As always, thank you, and happy helmet hunting!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Black M40, ET for Discussion   Black M40, ET for Discussion  

Black M40, ET for Discussion   Black M40, ET for Discussion  

Black M40, ET for Discussion  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Black M40, ET for Discussion
    P
    Many

Default Re: Black M40, ET for Discussion

OK Todd, I'll barge in and say painted over some rust ( especially on the dome ) post war - but EARLY .... maybe in the 50's otherwise a nice all original ET helmet. ( I'm probably way off but there you go )

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hi Helmstone,well the decal looks to be a good toned heer to me,the crazing caused by the laquer is really clear on this one.As for the black overpaint,it has age to it but I feel it is post war,unless this helmet has been oiled it looks far to shiney for a wartime re-paint.Nice original chinstrap and liner that look original to the shell.Certainly a discussion point this one. Leon.

I'll start with what I know. All of the parts are original; decal, shell, split pins, liner band, liner, and chinstrap. Usually the split pins being loose is a sign of a replacement liner, but I'm not sure that is the case here. The pins are bent away from the shell almost as if someone was trying to pull them out. They were tight on the shell when the helmet was originally painted black (note the unpainted ring under the pins). And the liner band and chinstrap were also obviously present for the addition of black paint. The paint has been on the helmet for a long time. But the question is, how long? It is possible that it is original wartime black paint. It looks the decal was painted around, and I can't tell if it is KM or Heer, although I am slightly leaning toward the latter.

Corey

An interesting one Todd, it looks to me to be a Heer too, I can't see any border around the bird. Maybe it was used in a flak role? Helmets were sometimes passed around the branches without the decals being changed; KM coastal units used Heer decalled helmets, and so did SS on occasion. Perhaps a Luft unit received this lid and just painted it black around the decal. It all looks nice and period to me. As Dan says though, it could have been painted in 1946 by the GI back on the porch in Alabam'. It looks like it was hit with a '45 after the black was put on.

Thanks for the replies, fellas. It's nice to hear different opinions. I like the helmet whether wartime or post war painted black. This is a good discussion and I won't get my feelings hurt either way

Additionally, why would someone paint the helmet black post war and then shoot it? I know there is no way to know for sure, in just playing Devil's Advocate.

Going by the responses on here and ghw, I think opinion is split down The middle so far as to when the black was applied but the helmet itself is on no doubt.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Going by the responses on here and ghw, I think opinion is split down The middle so far as to when the black was applied but the helmet itself is on no doubt.
    I agree, Dan. Good components through and through. Just comes down to that pesky paint job. It's a lot like a Camo helmet; comes down to how comfortable one is to say it is or is not a wartime black helmet. I don't even think I have made a decision myself. I can see it going both ways.