Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Black Painted M16 Stahlhelm?

Article about: Hello Folks - Have had this one in the collection for a long time, but it's always been a bit of a mystery. I've seen one other like it and heard of another through correspondence, but never

Default Black Painted M16 Stahlhelm?

Hello Folks -

Have had this one in the collection for a long time, but it's always been a bit of a mystery. I've seen one other like it and heard of another through correspondence, but never read or uncovered any 'official' information on them.

It is a standard M16 Stahlhelm with the M17 liner and band. In nice condition, with the inside still painted the original green color and the original liner 90% intact. On the outside it has been painted with a flat black paint. Definitely 'of the period' (not a bubba paint job) and showing spots where it has worn or been washed off through use.

Has anyone ever run across any reference to this style or know of any information about it? Will be glad to post some pics if it would help.

Thanks!
    - Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Black Painted M16 Stahlhelm?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Black Painted M16 Stahlhelm?

Pictures would be nice.

Pictures will tell the whole story. Saw one on ebay the other day.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Some pics..., not the greatest of photos, but hopefully you can see what I'm talking about. Did notice with the two together that the liner in the blackened helmet is much thinner leather. Incidentally, it retains all three of the pillow pads.

Thanks for looking!

- Mike

PS - After looking at these photos I will try again tomorrow. These are horrible and don't show what I am looking at at all....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Black Painted M16 Stahlhelm?   Black Painted M16 Stahlhelm?  

Last edited by MikeS0000; 10-20-2011 at 04:23 AM.

Here are some better (hopefully) photos... shown next to a de-milled M16.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Black Painted M16 Stahlhelm?   Black Painted M16 Stahlhelm?  

Last edited by MikeS0000; 10-21-2011 at 03:02 PM.