Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Blatant fake for sale to the gullible

Article about: Harry the Mole makes a good point, there are plenty of currently serving British squaddies who've been stationed in Germany for a time, he could very well have been one of those, with an int

Default Re: Blatant fake for sale to the gullible

we are all idividuals on the forum and therefore have our own opinion.as far as his original add went i stand by what i said .all he had to do was add the word repro the first time.its right that we all draw attention to especially young collectors dodgy ones for sale and without the word repro this was a dodgy one.the red bull helmet that went for nearly 1,000£s was generally held up to be a fake paint job ,and some poor hard working sould was probably fleased.the only odd thing would have been had a seen the add and did nothing to alert collectors ,that would have been selfish.unless ade says we cant refer to helmets on ebay if i see a dodgy one in its description i will gladly bring it to the attention of fellow collectors.its a shame the guy who bought the red bull helmet dint see our forum or he would have saved himself a lot of money,with the davice that was given!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Blatant fake for sale to the gullible
    P
    Many

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    A while ago we were wondering if Adolf had a helmet. Well, if you look closely at the liner of this piece you will see a highly stylized AH. I think we found it. I for one am going to bid on this treasure! Stay outta my way.
    Hey guys....go climb a tree....I've seen it first and I'm determined to bring it home !
    Hey....see what you've done with your mud-slinging...you've offended he owner of that beauty...the item's not for sale anymore!
    Cheers
    Manny...who BAAAAADLY wanted to own AH's personal lid!

ian
    ?

las vagas
    i agree entirely with what you say .cheers ian

I understand what Las Vegas is trying to do, and it is commendable. But as I originally said, the seller was probably unaware that it WAS a fake. We all buy things at some time or another thinking it is genuine - only for it to be something else. It is right that others should be warned if an item appears to be fake. But you cannot go accusing ALL sellers of this stuff of trying to rip off others. You have to have proof of intention.

I was at an arms-fair at Preston last Monday, and only for the intervention of a certain individual on this website, I would have made a VERY costly mistake with a DD Police combat helmet. The dealer selling it is well known. It really had me fooled -although I had some doubts about the liner. Nearly all the other German helmets I saw with other dealers were 'restored,' but being sold as genuine. You expect dealers to know what they are selling -and most do. But individuals who just sell the odd thing are a different matter.

You really must contact these sellers and see what they have to say about their items before throwing about wild accusations of intentional fraud. At the very least, such accusations are bordering on the edges of the law on Libel. If you are unsure what that is, it is to publish a statement falsley damaging a persons reputation. While this website is correct to expose intentional fraud by dealers (and some individuals) I find it amazing that the moderators condone the actions of some in branding all sellers of dodgy items as frauds. Although ignorance is no defence in law, we should at times give people the benefit of doubt. By all means expose the dodgy items, but don't brand the seller as some kind of criminal unless you have proof. It takes a long time to build up a reputation for being honest, and the stupid actions of some individual can leave that in tatters in a matter of minutes.

Harry,

Harry you have some points .to put something on ebay you sign up and agree to the conditions of honesty.as i said i seen tyhis helmet supposed from jiucy berlin and brought back by a soldier all juicy info which would exite the inexsperiened,and me if i wasnt exsperienced.it was obviously a repro but that one simple but important word wasnt there .it was i repeat in my fellow collectors interest that i or other point it out.ok for a second lets say it was a mistake to leave out repro.i personally dont believe that he left pout repro as a mistake ,and that was my judegment ,but i appreciate you views and your right to disagree with me harry.
    Last edited by LAS VEGAS; 06-02-2010 at 11:18 AM.

The real miscreants are the dodgy dealers you meet at arms-fairs. They DO know what they are selling. But they are happy to pass off fakes as originals with the usual saying... ' You have to make up your own mind if you think it's genuine or not.' I have had this said to me on many occasions.

I agree with you there . A dealer saying you have to make up your own mind even though the dealer may know its a fake.as i said the good thing is anyone who lives like that fleecing decent people out of their money cant have luck in the long run.

?

[QUOTE=HARRY THE MOLE;151381]The real miscreants are the dodgy dealers you meet at arms-fairs. They DO know what they are selling. But they are happy to pass off fakes as originals with the usual saying... ' You have to make up your own mind if you think it's genuine or not.' I have had this said to me on many occasions.[/QUOTEs i agree

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3