Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A book NOT to buy in 2014 : Normandy 1944

Article about: Just wanted to highlight this book again, I had it in my hands when it was released 2 years ago and browsed it again yesterday. It contains more than 35% of fake camo helmets. As a reference

Default A book NOT to buy in 2014 : Normandy 1944

Just wanted to highlight this book again, I had it in my hands when it was released 2 years ago and browsed it again yesterday.
    It contains more than 35% of fake camo helmets. As a reference it is the poorest I have ever seen , small photos no liner photos.
    I'm pretty sure it was made to give the fakes 'book credibility' to make sure they sell for a good price.
    Here's the old thread where it comes up : https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...mets-108694-4/

To end , this is not the book you want to buy if you need to learn something about German helmets in 2014.

Happy new year everyone.
    Last edited by Schwerpunkt; 01-01-2014 at 06:00 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A book NOT to buy in 2014 : Normandy 1944
    P
    Many

Even with that little image the camo SS looks dodgy!

Thanks for the heads up!

Even the cover seems to have "dubious" examples on even from those tiny pictures! Just goes to highlight the fact that just because something has been published as "original" it does not make it original. I don't think I will be rushing to Amazon for this one!! Thanks , Leon.

Someone knowledgeable needs to post a review on Amazon...
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Thanks for useful heads-up.

Come to think of it, Im sure there are plenty of other fakes (regalia, lids, uniforms etc) in many so called 'reference' books out there. In museums too for that matter. Depressing.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Thanks for useful heads-up.

Come to think of it, Im sure there are plenty of other fakes (regalia, lids, uniforms etc) in many so called 'reference' books out there. In museums too for that matter. Depressing.
    Just realising it and making people aware of it is important.
    that is why it will always be important that collectors look out for one another and don't seek the easy way to knowledge. There is no one expert , there should not be one expert.
    There are many frauds in our hobby and they will smile to you and act all friendly like they know it all.

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Just realising it and making people aware of it is important.
    that is why it will always be important that collectors look out for one another and don't seek the easy way to knowledge. There is no one expert , there should not be one expert.
    There are many frauds in our hobby and they will smile to you and act all friendly like they know it all.
    I could not agree more.

?

A lot of collectors believe museums show the authentic item but in many cases items are not real, but want to show the viewer a representation of what something would appear in the era, and as the real items are expensive to acquire and maintain they go the reproduction route. Also many museums sell thier real items to fund repairs and costs and replace them with reproductions.

With this book either the author has no idea what's real or there is an intent to defraud the reader by mixing real with fake. Being skeptical over cynical I'd like to think the former.

Quote by DougB View Post
    A lot of collectors believe museums show the authentic item but in many cases items are not real, but want to show the viewer a representation of what something would appear in the era, and as the real items are expensive to acquire and maintain they go the reproduction route. Also many museums sell thier real items to fund repairs and costs and replace them with reproductions.

With this book either the author has no idea what's real or there is an intent to defraud the reader by mixing real with fake. Being skeptical over cynical I'd like to think the former.
    What's even more worrisome is that the author knows collectors , from what's in the book mostly French collectors that participated.
    How far were they aware of the content when they gave the okay to publish their helmets ?
    Whom is the owner of those fakes in the book ? Or are there multiple owners. Even the blown up , blacklighted decals in the book are obvious fakes.

?

It bites, that our hobby is riddled with fakes, reference material promoting fakes and corrupt so called 'collectors' - some of whom are in the hobby purely to make a fast buck on the expense of others.

.....but then drawing peoples attention to the problems, is a step in the right direction, as is illustrated in the OP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast