Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Books & helmets.

Article about: Thank you very much!

?

Default Re: Books & helmets.

May I recommend AbeBooks; seller of new and used books. I've been using them for several years now and have had terrific luck finding out of print military reference books. Check it out:

AbeBooks Official Site - New & Used Books, New & Used Textbooks, Rare & Out of Print Books

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Books & helmets.
    P
    Many

World War II German Helmets - Buy the BEST HERE! Not a book, but great site, but you already know this hehe

Here is the book, I have purchased from this before, good place:

Germany's Combat Helmets 1933-1945

They have lots of other neat items too
    Last edited by Teutonicknights; 10-21-2011 at 06:31 AM.

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello,
    A friend of mine's book has just been released. It's about german helmets in Normandy....(author Dan Tylisz, publisher Histoire & Collections).
    Thanks

Attachment 254100
    Can you ask your friend how come there are fake camo's in the book and what the actual point of the book is ? Seems like his research was very poor. In a minefield such as camo's are one would expect the author to be more aware.

?

I have to agree with Frank. There are some helmets in that book that defy logic how they can be can be published as authentic, there are clear fakes in particular the SS section. Sorry but that is my review of this book.

Sad to see fakes even find their way into reference books... Had the book and just sold it, bought myself Ken's book Germany's combat helmets for a nice little price.

Dan Tylisz' book is worth a look, but it doesn't create a 'wow' effect. The helmets are nice, some very nice, but the book gets boring. I feel that there was a lot more to it. The author wasn't very creative, especially the pictures disappointed me. The helmets are always portraited from the same angle.

Cheers

?

There are some good helmets in the book, one was at the SOS. But too many fakes to make this in any way a reference book.

Quote by kenbent View Post
    Dan Tylisz' book is worth a look, but it doesn't create a 'wow' effect. The helmets are nice, some very nice, but the book gets boring. I feel that there was a lot more to it. The author wasn't very creative, especially the pictures disappointed me. The helmets are always portraited from the same angle.

Cheers
    Even without the fake helmets it would be a useless reference , pictures are too small and most helmets are not shown completely.
    You could fill 10 books with original different camo helmets so studying patterns is pretty much useless as fakers copy those patterns anyway.
    Topics with HQ pictures on forums is the only good source to learn from with the added bonus that you have the commentary of collectors from around the globe.
    A book on camo's is a tough venture even for the most experienced collector , there simply is no-one that can judge camo's with 100% certainty.
    I have serious questions as to why this book was made ... it's an afront to the passionate collector.

Not meant to boost the aforementioned Tylisz book, but an artist or designer plays
    an important role in how the end product will look. Sometimes the author(s) and
    publisher are working on a strict budget and will design the book themselves
    - even doing all the photography, which in this case, besides the content,
    may have also worked against it.

I will try and find a copy of Ken's book.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Topics with HQ pictures on forums is the only good source to learn from with the added bonus that you have the commentary of collectors from around the globe.
    I agree wholeheartedly...

That portion of your post was perhaps one of the most sensible quotes that I have ever read during all my years on the forums.

I applaud you.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

?

Quote by RichieC View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly...

That portion of your post was perhaps one of the most sensible quotes that I have ever read during all my years on the forums.

I applaud you.
    Richie, Frank will have to cancel his book deal now. :-D

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast