Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Budapest find. SS or Heer??

Article about: Dear Everyone, I am living in Hungary, Budapest. I've found this helmet in the III.district of Budapest in an old Villa's basement.Very small size (54-55) ET62. serial no.:1038 My problem is

?

Default Budapest find. SS or Heer??

Dear Everyone,
    I am living in Hungary, Budapest. I've found this helmet in the III.district of Budapest in an old Villa's basement.Very small size (54-55) ET62. serial no.:1038
    My problem is, I can not identify this helmet.M40 double decal helmet was used by the SS or the police. But I didn't find any news about the German police in Budapest, during the WWII.But the Waffen-SS was here in a huge number of Divisions. I am not interested in SS or Heer (Wehrmach) all of them are pieces from our history. I have never seen an m40 (Heer) double decal helmet before,so that's why I think it was used by the German SS.
    Can you help me to identify the stamp in the shell, see pictures below.
    Many thanks!
    All the best!
    please send links or pictures enclosed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Budapest find. SS or Heer??   Budapest find. SS or Heer??  

Budapest find. SS or Heer??   Budapest find. SS or Heer??  

Budapest find. SS or Heer??  
    Last edited by Figie; 12-17-2010 at 08:20 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Budapest find. SS or Heer??
    P
    Many

Default Re: Budapest find. SS or Heer??

The stamp in the dome is an acceptance stamp, it will read abgenommen and have a date and which office issued it, though I cant read any of your stamp. If you can post the lot number, on the skirt, someone might be able to tell who it was issued to, though I'm not sure if that info is available on this forum.

Agree that heer double decal m40's are not common, though neither are SS. It could be a police 'combat' issue, though you thought not.

The leather part of the liner looks a bit odd, IMO.

Jerry

?

The helmet seems to be real enough with a dome stamp and defaced decals but i dont think the liner is original to the helmet, its too clean and not the norm for a third reich issue,plus hardly any wear to the liner, whereas the helmet has seen a fair bit of wear and tear, both inside and out, but there is a bit of red rust on the inside dome, i would have expected to see a much darker amount of corrosion, as for the liner pins , i havent seen this marking before but perhaps others have

ian
    ?

when i was 14 years old (a long time ago) i was in budapest
    one of my uncles took me in the undergrounds of a hospital
    and i got a hungarian helmet which i brought home BUT i remember lots of german helmets and bayonets ,,and semi hiden guns
    there were to my memory many 40 and 42 helmets
    mp40 and k 98 s but i was only 14 then
    i do not remember any decals on any of the helmets i saw
    they looked liked the one originaly on this post IE scratched off or removed in one way or another
    my uncle said they were saved from the war and used in the 56 rising ??
    for a reference see the post gizella toth

?

Leather liner definitly not WWII German. I don't think it ever had decals either.
    Helmet and metal liner band is most certainly WWII German
    SteveR

?

Many thanks for the information indeed.

Liner is postwar czech type. Helmet is salty but valid. If it had double decals once I'd say could be a Polizei helmet or maybe SS DD M40. In this condition it doesn't really matter anyway.

?

Lot number 1038 there is a record of a Single Decal Heer (Army) helmet in size 62 on the GHW database. I checked my SS database and have no record of an SS ET in this lot. Also double decal SS in ET are exceedingly rare, only 3 or 4 I know of. Most double decal SS are very early Q makers. Army double decal M40 helmets are unheard of. I own an example, there are only 2 or 3 others I know of.

The helmet has a postwar liner and I believe has been seriously messed with, I do not believe this is an SS helmet.