Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buying from US

Article about: If the delivery address is north of the wash they'll figure its not worth much anyway, get them to c/o Abdallah Abdoo it'll sail through chum. Eric

Default Buying from US

Hello,

This is more a general question than anything, but I am thinking about starting to branch out a little into collecting WW2 German helmets and uniforms, the helmets in particular seem to be a bit cheaper over in the US from the dealers over there (well... some of them anyway) compared to the UK (where there doesn't seem to be any helmet dealers at all unless you want a reenactment special, often sold as "original") but I just wanted to know what the situation is between here (in the UK) and the US with shipping and any additional shipping costs/taxes there is to watch out for that might make a good deal not so good after any 'hidden' costs with regards to extra costs.

So if anyone has had experience with buying from the States into the UK and would be kind enough to fill me in on the details, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your time,
    Patrick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Buying from US
    P
    Many

All i can add is the fact that shipping from the states is getting pretty expensive!...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    All i can add is the fact that shipping from the states is getting pretty expensive!...
    And anything that costs more than $50 has to have import tax charged on it which also then incurs a handling fee from the Post Office, which really can make items more expensive than it first appears.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Anon View Post
    And anything that costs more than $50 has to have import tax charged on it which also then incurs a handling fee from the Post Office, which really can make items more expensive than it first appears.
    Indeed so Jerry!....

Quote by Anon View Post
    Thank you, do you know how much % wise the the import tax charged is at all? It's a shame because there's some nice ones I like for sale over there, but possibly going to push them out of my price range with additional fees etc...

- - ------- - -

Quote by helmetone View Post
    This thread should probably be closed because trying to discuss dealers and such is one sided and subjective.
    Sorry for any misunderstanding, but I am not trying to discuss any specific dealers - just the state of affairs with shipping form US -> UK etc

Quote by MG42 cra View Post
    Thank you, do you know how much % wise the the import tax charged is at all? It's a shame because there's some nice ones I like for sale over there, but possibly going to push them out of my price range with additional fees etc...

- - ------- - -

Sorry for any misunderstanding, but I am not trying to discuss any specific dealers - just the state of affairs with shipping form US -> UK etc
    There is an import tax calculator online,

Import duty & taxes when importing into United Kingdom - DutyCalculator Help Center
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Patrick,

Most of my purchases have been from Germany, which have so far all been straightforward in terms of getting the genuine things delivered without problems. Obviously, buying within the EU has the advantage that there is no danger of being charged extra taxes. The introduction of the Transferwise (https://transferwise.com/) system has made this much easier as German vendors often expect bank transfer which banks here make mad charges for. Over the years I have made a few purchases from the USA - militaria and other things. These have usually been OK too -- I can recall only a couple of occasions when I got hit for taxes. The exchange rate is also very attractive at the moment. As GH says, the postal charges can be vicious although also vary a lot. If its a low value item I usually gamble and take the cheapest option.

I've hardly ever bought anything from a UK dealer, but then I do collect odd stuff that doesn't seem to have come over here to any obvious extent.

Regards, Philip

I regularly buy stuff from the States, and the only real bummer i've encountered is the import duties incurred when it get's over here. Other than that, fingers crossed, no other problems so far. The rates of customs duty, import VAT can be found here:

HM Revenue & Customs

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Import duty depends on what the item is classified as when it reaches these shores, ie: art, antique, culturally important unique item etc. It needs to fit into neat boxes that the HMRC uses for classification and this often depends on the mood or intelligence of the droid that physically inspects and classifies the item when it passes through the system. The duty can be anything from 5% to 20% of the value of the item. Try calling them and finding out what the import code will be for the item is before you do the deal. Don't let it scare you off but be aware you will need to put a fair bit more cash aside to secure it.

Buying from the US has always been my goal purely because I cannot get exactly the right looking item over here in the UK,I hate the import tax,but have been lucky a few times where the seller put a silly figure on the declaration form,but in this game there's no substitute and if buying from the states is the only way forward then so be it and to hell with the charges,If your purchasing to increase your collection then the cost is irrelevant but if buying purely to move on then there's little to no profit to be had unless the item is purchased for a really low amount cost,import tax is supposed to be anything over £18 which incurs a penalty,but i've had items for less and got a Vat charge instead of import tax so it does depend on the item sometimes slipping under the radar,but dont be put off,and yes dollar to pound is still better value than buying here in the UK...........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast