Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Camo LW M42 ?

Article about: I acquired this 'Normandy camo' M42 some 20 years ago, and have posted it on another forum, as well as showing it to several dealers. Generally the paint finish has received the thumbs down,

"OK, your opinion is welcomed, but other than patina, is there any other reason for supposing that the paint, especially the base blue/ grey is not original ?"

As for the base coat, does it even matter? A fake overpainted camo coat is a death nail for collectors. I guess it could be carefully stripped back, but it will always be a post war messed with helmet. There's still a market for the helmet (entry level collectors), but value has taken a hit.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Camo LW M42 ?
    P
    Many

Quote by cvrwdvr View Post
    OK, your opinion is welcomed, but other than patina, is there any other reason for supposing that the paint, especially the base blue/ grey is not original ?

Assuming that it's not original, any opinions as to whether it was repainted post war for further military use by a foreign army; re-enactment or simply as a fake camo helmet ?

The hand written size marking on the liner makes me wonder whether it was re-issued post war.

Secondly, supposing that the paintwork is not original, what to do with the helmet ?

I know that this is highly subjective, but should I break it into its component parts and sell them individually: liner, chin strap and shell ?
    Look my opinion is of course not made up of thin air , I know my base paints from each maker very well. It is key to detecting ground up fake camo's.
    Lack of patina is one thing but another is the color , your base paint is too grey and pristine. Ergo the camo over it is also bad.
    Just look for an authentic EF Luftwaffe helmet and do some comparison.

?

If you have owned it for 20years you don't need to dump it now.
    At least you know its postwar story.
    You have had it far longer than its original wearer.

Quote by Kateri View Post
    If you have owned it for 20years you don't need to dump it now.
    At least you know its postwar story.
    You have had it far longer than its original wearer.
    Well, I know some of its post-war story ! It's not likely that I'll ever know why it was repainted, or why somebody scoured the inside of the rim, although I surmise that the only reason for doing the latter would be to uncover the underlying 'original' paint.

Would I be correct in thinking that camo helmets weren't particularly desirable 20 yrs ago ?

At least it's got a decent liner and chin strap !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2