Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Camo M16 WWII Bringback

Article about: Hi guys, This helmet was brought back by my cousin's friend's grandfather. He was in Normandy and Belgium during WWII and spent time as a POW. I bought this helmet from him, as well as the L

Though only a shell, it's a beauty......... !
    Regards,

Steve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Camo M16 WWII Bringback
    P
    Many

Come on, closeups! I love the scheme!

Well done Movery interesting camo,like the look of it......................

?

Can't wait to see your photos when you get it.
    It's an interesting camo indeed.

Brad.

That's a lovely looking camo helmet - it reminds me a lot of this one from a dealer site:

Camo M16 WWII Bringback

Maybe part of the same unit!

Josh

Related question to the veteran's story: When US POWs were released from captivity let's say before the end of hostilities, were they rushed back into service or sent back to the UK/USA?

Finally got the goods! The provenance on this helmet and the belt (found here: Vet Bringback Luftwaffe Belt and Buckle ) is fantastic!

Both the buckle and helmet were brought back by Sgt. Charles Leslie Paul of the 112th Infantry Regiment, 28th Infantry Division. He fought his way through Normandy and was captured on December 20th, 1944- just a few days into the Battle of the Bulge. After capture he was sent to Stalag IX-B, which American soldiers claimed was among the worst, if not the worst, of the German POW camps.

I figured out this information by using his ASN (written on the belt) to find his POW record in the National Archives Database: NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - World War II Prisoners of War Data File, 12/7/1941 - 11/19/1946

The helmet itself is a TJ66 M16 with an awesome camo scheme, and the first camo to ever find itself in my collection. I'm not sure where exactly he would have found the helmet after repatriation, unfortunately. But you can't beat the provenance.

I hope the close-ups are acceptable. I did the best that I could with my iPhone. I hope you guys like it!
    Mo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Camo M16 WWII Bringback   Camo M16 WWII Bringback  

Camo M16 WWII Bringback   Camo M16 WWII Bringback  

Camo M16 WWII Bringback   Camo M16 WWII Bringback  

Camo M16 WWII Bringback  

A lovely looking helmet, and an unusual camouflage scheme. A worthy addition to any collection. Well done!

?

Excellent provenance and helmet!

I've often wondered WHAT they were trying to camouflage themselves against with these sorts of patterns???

Possibly the detritus along the trench edge in the stalemate that was the western front?

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast