Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Camo M40 and Luft M42 Helmet

Article about: Hello! Here are two helmets that I have the opportunity to pick up. Really need some help here. What are your thoughts? I know the pic's are poor but this is what has been sent to me. Will s

MAP
    ?

Default Camo M40 and Luft M42 Helmet

Hello! Here are two helmets that I have the opportunity to pick up. Really need some help here.

What are your thoughts?

I know the pic's are poor but this is what has been sent to me. Will see them in person in a week or so but was hoping for some intial feedback.

These are from a friend of mine who has been great in lining me up with great stuff over the years. Great guy with money back gty. (Lots of "greats" in there but he really is)

First up is an SD M42 Luft. Don't have an M42 yet and the eagle on this appears to be in great shape. This "could" be my forth Luft but none have an eagle as nice as this.

Camo M40 and Luft M42 HelmetCamo M40 and Luft M42 Helmet

Next up is an M40 (or maybe an M-35) rough green camo helmet. After reading all the threads about how many fakes there are of these I'm always worried when I see one.

Camo M40 and Luft M42 HelmetCamo M40 and Luft M42 HelmetCamo M40 and Luft M42 Helmet
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Camo M40 and Luft M42 Helmet
    P
    Many

?

They both look legitimate, although I would call the the M40 an over paint.
    Regards,
    John

Both IMO are good originals ( the second is an M40 BTW ) but I see no red flags ......

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

MAP
    ?

Thanks John,

Awfully thick overpaint. Appears it has a sawdust type of mixture. I've been told that its a really dark green but can't see in these pictures.

So maybe not a multi-color camo. But I defer to you and the other experts.

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Both IMO are good originals ( the second is an M40 BTW ) but I see no red flags ......

Dan
    Dan,

Per the nice feedback from John (thanks again John), would you call the M40 an overpaint as well? Not getting picky here, but would assume a camo would command a higher price vs. an overpaint

Quote by relicz View Post
    They both look legitimate, although I would call the the M40 an over paint.
    Agreed, not camo.

It is quite common to see this type of paint job. The over paint was generally applied to prevent sun glare I've always heard.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Dan, would you call the M40 an overpaint as well?
    I do not consider "cammo" to be just in the paint shades - but also in texture as I feel it is ANY effort to break up the sharp angles or reflectiveness of a smooth surface.
    An "overpaint" can be an attempt at camouflage or just a freshen up of an old finish or even to cover up decals as per regulations - but when an "overpaint" has some additional medium ( dirt, sand, sawdust etc... ) added to it then it becomes a "cammo" in my book - even if it remains the one colour.

Others may think differently ( and the textbook definition is otherwise ) but that's where I am on the subject.....

Regards, Dan

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    The over paint was generally applied to prevent sun glare I've always heard.
    And a non-reflective surface is a very effective form of camouflage .......

MAP
    ?

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    Agreed, not camo.

It is quite common to see this type of paint job. The over paint was generally applied to prevent sun glare I've always heard.
    Quote by Danmark View Post
    I do not consider "cammo" to be just in the paint shades - but also in texture as I feel it is ANY effort to break up the sharp angles or reflectiveness of a smooth surface.
    An "overpaint" can be an attempt at camouflage or just a freshen up of an old finish or even to cover up decals as per regulations - but when an "overpaint" has some additional medium ( dirt, sand, sawdust etc... ) added to it then it becomes a "cammo" in my book - even if it remains the one colour.

Others may think differently ( and the textbook definition is otherwise ) but that's where I am on the subject.....

Regards, Dan
    Thanks Guys! I like it and if the price is right I'll pick it up. I too feel that while not multi-colored, this would fall into a certain camouflage catagory.

Michael

?

Here are two examples I've posted on this forum previously. Both are over paints, one had wood chips added to the mix, the other didn't. Calling something a "camo" doesn't necessarily add value or command a premium. Textured over paints are relatively common.

M35 Ex DD Named - with that well used look

M42 Heer Rough Texture Wood Chip
    Last edited by relicz; 06-02-2014 at 01:21 PM.
    Regards,
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast