Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Camo M40 and Luft M42 Helmet

Article about: Hello! Here are two helmets that I have the opportunity to pick up. Really need some help here. What are your thoughts? I know the pic's are poor but this is what has been sent to me. Will s

MAP
    ?

Quote by relicz View Post
    Here are just two examples I've posted on this forum previously. Both are over paints, one had wood chips added to the mix, the other didn't. Calling something a "camo" doesn't necessarily add value or command a premium. Textured over paints are relatively common.

M35 Ex DD Named - with that well used look

M42 Heer Rough Texture Wood Chip
    Thanks John. Nice lids!! Appreciate the tutorials and learning experience (even if it's coming from a Red Sox fan ).

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Camo M40 and Luft M42 Helmet
    P
    Many

Couple of original helmets alright look good to me. timothy

Hi Michael , they both look fine to me and the second one definitely looks like a rough texture over paint to me. Also I think you can just see the outline/shadow of a decal under that paint although it may just be my imagination. Leon.

?

I am with Dan on this one gents to me a camo does not have to be more than one color any intentional attempt to change the color and or texture to blend into a new and or different enviroment should by rights be considered a camo such as a 42 C.L./C Canadian Mk II that graces my collection that had been overpainted in Desert tan and or the 41 G.S.W. that has been brush overpainted in olive green that I have as well.

Regards Mark

MAP
    ?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Michael , they both look fine to me and the second one definitely looks like a rough texture over paint to me. Also I think you can just see the outline/shadow of a decal under that paint although it may just be my imagination. Leon.
    Thanks Leon,

Saw the decal shadow as well but was not getting my hopes up until I see it in person. Unfortunately, that picture is worse of the two exterior pictures.

Biggest problem is how to afford all these. Besides these two helmets, there is also an NCO Panzer Visor, Japanese Pith Helmet and a Japanese IJN Pilot jacket .

Looks like there will be a long lay away plan to be negotiated with my dealer. Now, what to tell the wife?

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Thanks Leon,

Saw the decal shadow as well but was not getting my hopes up until I see it in person. Unfortunately, that picture is worse of the two exterior pictures.

Biggest problem is how to afford all these. Besides these two helmets, there is also an NCO Panzer Visor, Japanese Pith Helmet and a Japanese IJN Pilot jacket .

Looks like there will be a long lay away plan to be negotiated with my dealer. Now, what to tell the wife?

Michael
    Looks like you will need to go and get a paper round to help pay the shortfall on that lot! Leon.

Both look OK from the pics.

MAP
    ?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Looks like you will need to go and get a paper round to help pay the shortfall on that lot! Leon.
    Or take an advance from my kids college fund. All this goes to them eventually anyway.

?

Nice helmets Michael. The first is in fantastic condition all things considered and assuming the other side looks just as nice. The decal is near perfect, which is somewhat hard to come by these days unless buying from a dealer. It may be the camera angle, but it appears to be a very small size. I don't see it noted in the thread, but would you share with us the size of that helmet?

Regarding the camo debate... I'm of the opinion (and this is only one man's opinion) that if we need to debate about whether or not a helmet is camo then we should consider it a standard helmet (for the purpose of value at least). In my experience helmet collectors are finicky about camo helmets and will not pay more for one unless they're absolutely certain it's camo (which means it should be fairly obvious).

MAP
    ?

Quote by dzyner View Post
    Nice helmets Michael. The first is in fantastic condition all things considered and assuming the other side looks just as nice. The decal is near perfect, which is somewhat hard to come by these days unless buying from a dealer. It may be the camera angle, but it appears to be a very small size. I don't see it noted in the thread, but would you share with us the size of that helmet?

Regarding the camo debate... I'm of the opinion (and this is only one man's opinion) that if we need to debate about whether or not a helmet is camo then we should consider it a standard helmet (for the purpose of value at least). In my experience helmet collectors are finicky about camo helmets and will not pay more for one unless they're absolutely certain it's camo (which means it should be fairly obvious).
    Thanks. I have three Luft helmets but this eagle is just screaming. Plus I don't own any M42's yet. This is from a small dealer/ friend of mine. Both helmets from the pictures appear to be small. When I get a hands on in the next few weeks I will post them both with maker and size and better pictures. I like the smaller helmets. They fit better in my barrister bookcases that I have.

And thanks for the thoughts on the camo debate. Either way, I don't have one with this sawdust type paint job so will probably pick it up if price is right. My only non standard helmet is a M40 Luft with cloth netting (which while still attached is very fragile).

Regards,

Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2