Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Can anything be done to conserve this helmet?

Article about: Hi guys! I picked this helmet up today. Obviously has been repainted post war. I'd like to try to conserve this piece because there is original paint under & decals the black paint. Does

Default Can anything be done to conserve this helmet?

Hi guys!

I picked this helmet up today. Obviously has been repainted post war. I'd like to try to conserve this piece because there is original paint under & decals the black paint. Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can anything be done to conserve this helmet?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Can anything be done to conserve this helmet?

Are you certain it's post war paint? There are helmets painted black during the war.

Yes the gentleman I bought it from said his father painted it black.

There is a chap called Bill Maertz that does a fantastic job at recovering pieces like this. I think DougB knows him, or knows how to get in touch anyway.

Nice find!!Hope you get the info you need, you could try a little Acetone on a non conspicuous spot? i have heard of that before on here, not that i've tried it myself, see what the other Guys think.
    Cheers Phill.

I don't think the helmet is valuable enough to make sending it to a professional worth the bother. As mentioned, a little acetone on a cotton ball applied sparingly might remove the black paint a little at a time but it will take forever and you'll need to be mighty careful over the decal area so as not to damage it.

?

I could be wrong but i am picking up a "golden hue " under the black, if the decal was "tarnished" you shouldnt see this, but gold under black has a habit of "pushing through" the darker colour , it could be a KM and if this is the case a great deal of care should be taken, no abrasive products to be used , no fine steel wool etc, the decal is the main problem and it all depends on which type of black paint was used, the acetone method should be used on the interior skirt first, to judge how long it takes to remove the paint and if any damage to the original paint underneath is caused, if all goes well then the decal can be attempted but with a diluted acetone treatment, and water to deactivate the acetone straight away and do not wipe over the decal, but dab a water soaked cloth on it, of course this also depends on how confident you feel on doing this and should not be attempted if in doubt