Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can you tell me who made my German helmet?

Article about: My helmet has the numbers 066 on the left side. On the back are the numbers 21057 do either of these tell who made it? Thanks!

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Default Can you tell me who made my German helmet?

My helmet has the numbers 066 on the left side. On the back are the numbers 21057 do either of these tell who made it? Thanks!

2. # ADS

appie
    ?

Default Re: Can you tell me who made my German helmet?

Are you sure it is not a Q instead of an O? If its a Q its made in the Quist factory.

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Quote by appie View Post
    Are you sure it is not a Q instead of an O? If its a Q its made in the Quist factory.
    When I looked at it (again) with the naked (half-blind) eye it looked like an O, BUT when I looked at it with a glass it is a Q ! What does the 66 mean - the size ? With the liner it is a size 58.

appie
    ?

Yes, the 66 is the shell-size (big one too). Quist was a well known maker, I've been told they where the only makers of the M42 lids for the Waffen SS.

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Quote by appie View Post
    Yes, the 66 is the shell-size (big one too). Quist was a well known maker, I've been told they where the only makers of the M42 lids for the Waffen SS.
    Thanks for the info! I think my helmet WAS a waffen SS, because it used to have a white or silver sticker on the left side. What else could that be but SS? Could that other number be traced?

appie
    ?

Hard to tell without pics of the decal realy, there where so many diffrent decals.
    German Helmet Decals
    Here you can find them all, these are replicas, but give a good idea what the originals looked like.

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

I wonder did they ever put an SS decal on the Left side? There is nothing left but an outline, and some color where the guy removed the sticker. Maybe he peeled it off. The helmet is not the color you see on your monitor. I lightened it up with my computer to try to enhance the decal area. Somebody - maybe during the war - painted it with a brush.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can you tell me who made my German helmet?  

appie
    ?

Could have been a police-decal, but they did wear the SS decal on the left side at some early point i've been told. But the word sticker, and peeled off is not good if it comes to original decals. An original you can't simply peel off, and they where not stickers, but very thin decals. The only way to remove one is to scratch it off, or sandpaper.

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Quote by appie View Post
    Could have been a police-decal, but they did wear the SS decal on the left side at some early point i've been told. But the word sticker, and peeled off is not good if it comes to original decals. An original you can't simply peel off, and they where not stickers, but very thin decals. The only way to remove one is to scratch it off, or sandpaper.
    I didn't mean peel it off like you would a thick decal, I meant peel it off with a torch, and a putty knife. Somebody really didn't want the old decal on there, yet when he painted it, he left the outline of where it had been. Very odd!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast