Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Carboot finds, 2 german helmets what do you guys think?

Article about: I went round my local carboot today and i saw these two german helmets, he wanted £35 each but i managed to get the two for £60, i cant see any stamps although i have a feeling these may hav

Default Carboot finds, 2 german helmets what do you guys think?

I went round my local carboot today and i saw these two german helmets, he wanted £35 each but i managed to get the two for £60, i cant see any stamps although i have a feeling these may have been repainted as i can't see any evidence that decals have been on these, these also appear to have the original chin straps and liners.
    Just wanted to see if any of you guys could shine any light on these?
    Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Carboot finds, 2 german helmets what do you guys think?   Carboot finds, 2 german helmets what do you guys think?  

Carboot finds, 2 german helmets what do you guys think?   Carboot finds, 2 german helmets what do you guys think?  

Carboot finds, 2 german helmets what do you guys think?   Carboot finds, 2 german helmets what do you guys think?  

Carboot finds, 2 german helmets what do you guys think?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Carboot finds, 2 german helmets what do you guys think?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Carboot finds, 2 german helmets what do you guys think?

Glennyboy I am not liking either of these two liners the liner that is lighter in color and appears newer I believe is a postwar liner possibly out of Denmark as the front of the liner is perforated with air holes .The chinstrap and buckle do not look right to me either as the strap is to wide and the buckle is of a constructon I have never seen before. The liner in the other helmet I dont think is good either as the leather fingers look to narrow and there are 10 fingers.You will notice were the liner draw string comes through the fingers they are slot cut instead of having round holes pounched through the leather for the drawstring and the strap and buckle do not look right either as to the helmet shells I am unshur but I believe them to be postwar as well just my opnion better see what the other members say.

Regards Mark K

Glenn....Two rather nice M52 (Model 1952) BGS (Bundesgrenzshutze) Helmets (West German border guards).......worn into the 1970's. Stick them on e-bay and you may make a profit !
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Thanks Steve I did not think they were German WW 2 issued if I may ask how is it that you have been able to ID them as M52 West German border guard helmets was it by the style of liner that was used or do the helmet shells tell a story I am not seeing.

Regards Mark K

Mark...shell on an M52 very similiar to an M35, however it is the liner which bears no resembelence to the wartime helmet, the leather liner tongues being shorter, perforations at the front to help in sweat evaporation, and notice the small cork "donuts" between the liner band and the shell (this attachment feature will be used on the latter M58 BW M1 style helmets)....chinstrap attachment to liner is different, the leather strap will attach by a rivet direct to the band, no bails as such.....see here ALEMÁN 35 although in Spanish, you can hit your translate button if you have Google. See this thread here on the forum M1952 BGS Helmet. The M53 version was easier to spot as it had no liner pins, the liner attaching to an internal nut on the dome of the helmet shell.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Steve I missed the small cork donuts you pointed out I spent about an hour looking at different German helmet liners and chinstraps and could not find anything that came close with the exception of some post war liners out of Denmark to be quite honest I never even thought of the M52 helmets as a option in my search. Thank you for the reply and the the links you posted they were very informative .

Regards Mark K