Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Chicken wire M42 Camo helmet Help

Article about: Good evening everyone, We have a militaria swap meet here in Perth over the weekend and as some of you might know I always have afew tables. Anyways I usually take some items on consignment

Default Chicken wire M42 Camo helmet Help

Good evening everyone,

We have a militaria swap meet here in Perth over the weekend and as some of you might know I always have afew tables. Anyways I usually take some items on consignment for people, which I went and picked up this evening. Just going through it all now and I wanted to get your though on this one. Its an M42, CKL 64 ,lotnbr 5378. Its in a 3 colour camo scheme, very much Normandie camouflage. Its also got a chicken wire basket which to me seems to fit the helmet and looking at the connections on the rim, looks like its been there awhile. The paint looks good to, nothing over rust and seems to be sprayed on. Great patina on the dome of the helmet as well. Liner is fine, with the liner pins and washers intact and tight. Band is to tight to see a date though but I would say it looks around a 1944 (similar to a lid I already have from the same maker). Downside is the current owner scratched the paint away from the maker/lotnbr area to see the markings better but doesnt detract to much.

Sorry about the pics, best I can do for 8:30pm on a rainy night. Can take some daylight shots if needed tomorrow morning.

Cheers
    Jason

Chicken wire M42 Camo helmet HelpChicken wire M42 Camo helmet HelpChicken wire M42 Camo helmet HelpChicken wire M42 Camo helmet HelpChicken wire M42 Camo helmet HelpChicken wire M42 Camo helmet HelpChicken wire M42 Camo helmet HelpChicken wire M42 Camo helmet HelpChicken wire M42 Camo helmet HelpChicken wire M42 Camo helmet HelpChicken wire M42 Camo helmet HelpChicken wire M42 Camo helmet HelpChicken wire M42 Camo helmet HelpChicken wire M42 Camo helmet HelpChicken wire M42 Camo helmet HelpChicken wire M42 Camo helmet HelpChicken wire M42 Camo helmet HelpChicken wire M42 Camo helmet Help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Chicken wire M42 Camo helmet Help
    P
    Many

4md
    ?

Default Re: Chicken wire M42 Camo helmet Help

Gday Jason, not too sure about that liner and i was always led to believe that european chicken wire was twisted differently, i think its a fake but lets see what everyone else says

regards Paul

?

To me its a reverse twist wire which is not the European type of the period, therefore i would say a later add on, and where theres one doubt there are usually others

Hi Jase,

The wire, or at least some of it appears to be of the 'Reverse Twist' type. This type of wire is made in the USA and not in Europe, so it's questionable I would think....

Let's see what the other guys have to say.

Regards, Ned.

EDIT:

Dave beat me to it!!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Sorry old bean

No problemo old boy...
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

+1, I'm no expert on wire at all but it just looks 'off' to me.

Hi Jason,

I wouldn't be comfortable with this one to be honest, you do have it in hand, but to me - the paint looks off and I don't think the wire has been on that helmet since World War II..

Josh

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Never handled a wire camo before so its been a learning experience. Was interesting to see in amongst the pile of stuff he gave me.

Cheers
    Jason

Even if this was absolutely European twist wire, I can see no sign on the helmet itself that the wire has been there from decades ago.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."