Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Chromed helmets, what is the big deal?

Article about: i like old cars with chrome not old helmets........now if that chrome was on a 55 chev or a fc holden it would be a different story

4md
    ?

Default Re: Chromed helmets, what is the big deal?

i like old cars with chrome not old helmets........now if that chrome was on a 55 chev or a fc holden it would be a different story

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Chromed helmets, what is the big deal?
    P
    Many

mpw
    ?

When I was a kid my paper round took me past some pre-fabricated bungalows that had been built just after the war for returning vets as there was a housing shortage. I think they were only designed to last 10 years but some were still being lived in in the 80's. Anyway, one in particular had a German helmet hanging upside down near the door and had been used as a hanging flower basket. Something as kid hooked on war films etc I found fascinating. No pics I'm afraid but this postage stamp gives you an idea what it looked like.

Chromed helmets, what is the big deal?

`

Quote by doomtown View Post
    I kinda like these actually. I know that I'm in the minority, but I find American Surfer/Biker culture really interesting in how they superficially turned these iconic German symbols like the Stahlhelm and the Iron Cross into pop cultural symbols for their own ends. I'm considering buying one of these chromed helmets to add to my ET64 Stahlhelm collection.
    I agree completely. History doesn't stop in 1945, and a chromed helmet like this is a valid historical relic too. I feel if it is a genuine 1960s chromed Hells Angels helmet, by taking the chrome off, you are destroying history in exactly the same way as stripping WWII paint off.

Rob

?

Thanks Rob, I totally agree. If you look at the pic on the other page the Biker is wearing a Norwegian reissued helmet(look at the brass liner pins), so it was already "ruined", this guy just took a helmet that probably already had its decals sanded and painted over, and then dipped it in chrome to make it something new.

OK, I confess: I still own a chrome plated German helmet, which I bought for $5 in 1968, at age 14 and chromed for another $5 shortly thereafter. It was used religiously while riding my souped up 5hp minibike and completed the "look". (Yes, I live on the USA West Coast.) I agree with the other authors who find them to be historical relics in their own right. While I would not "ruin" one by chroming it today, I can verify that it was seen as no big deal at the time, which you can surmise by the original purchase money involved. To be fair, I also owned an unmolested 2 decal Wermacht M-35 until last year, when it sold for 2500% more than I paid for it.

Chrome won't bring you home.

I guess that goes for both cars and war helmets.

Mine is an et64 as well, are many of these et64s and if so was this maybe some factory done thing?

?

ET were a huge producer,and 64 the average size,so just probability I guess.

..is it the same with art-worked shells? There seems to be more of these nowadays than chrome.....and not just German...M1s, Tommys etc..throw on a Tiger (usually) and a crooked cross and a word or too....and helmet ruined...is it a "thing" as folk say nowadays?

Anyone see the Ostfront medal on the biker with the chrome helmet?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast