Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A clean Luftwaffe helmet

Article about: Here's a new one I just added , it's an SE 62. Judging by the liner almost unused , quite possible it even never had a strap. Apart from a few nicks the paint is nice and still rough.

Default A clean Luftwaffe helmet

Here's a new one I just added , it's an SE 62.
    Judging by the liner almost unused , quite possible it even never had a strap.
    Apart from a few nicks the paint is nice and still rough.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A clean Luftwaffe helmet
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: A clean Luftwaffe helmet

Wow! Beautiful Helmet!!

?

That is a very nice lufty, Frank, but it always makes me wonder why the liners should fray like that on the edges and yet show virtually no wear on the interior , after all that is where the main part of the support is, do you think its because of bad storage ie resting on something or is it a common trait of the leather because of the fold or the fact that it hasnt been worn often that the leather hasnt absorbed natural oils from the wearer

?

Hello Dave,

I would think that the edges of the liner would always crack and show wear due to the fact that the leather has been creased for a long period of time.

Regards

Carl

?

p.s. Cracking Luft helmet!

Quote by davejb View Post
    That is a very nice lufty, Frank, but it always makes me wonder why the liners should fray like that on the edges and yet show virtually no wear on the interior , after all that is where the main part of the support is, do you think its because of bad storage ie resting on something or is it a common trait of the leather because of the fold or the fact that it hasnt been worn often that the leather hasnt absorbed natural oils from the wearer
    I'd say it's a common trait of liners with this tan color being lightly or unused liners. I think the reason for it is that the leather bends there and is more stretched out causing the leather to crack. It probably also has to do with the storage conditions over time. It's actually a helpful sign of originality ;-)

?

Yes i would agree about the sign of originality its not that easy to replicate that type of wear pattern using artificial means without tell tale signs , that liner cord in the lufty looks in excellent condition as well, i remember about 40yrs ago at Muswell Hill there was a shop dealing in militaria, in a box there were literally dozens of liner cords , i wish now id bought the lot , i think it would have cost about £5.00, theyre not that cheap to buy now

Nice one Frank! I would snap this one up 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. Jim G.

Davejb, I believe that liners fray on the edges like that even when unissued, from their being Stacked on top of Other helmets in storage. The rough finish paint on the outer shells of the helmets they are on tends to wear the liners in exactly these areas. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast