Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Controvercial "Tan" helmets

Article about: I just read the fascinating article from German-Helmets about the "ordnance tan" / "Egyptian" helmets. It was meant to be my bedtime story for tonight, but i have to make

?

Default Controvercial "Tan" helmets

I just read the fascinating article from German-Helmets about the "ordnance tan" / "Egyptian" helmets. It was meant to be my bedtime story for tonight, but i have to make a comment on it.

Have anyone come closer to a definite answer to the origin of these helmets? I lean to the side stating that these helmets are post war produced. First of all Ludwig Baer have never mentioned them in History of the German Steel Helmet. They are not mentioned in other reference books either.

Secondly i think that William Maertz argumentation holds up better than the people stating they are period helmets. Maertz states they were made for king Farouk of Egypt. Don't know about that, but his argumentation for them not to be period is sound.

The "believers" of the period theory states among other things, that Czechoslovakia would have had other things to spend their money on after the war, than stripping helmets and repainting them. But if they made a good deal with Egypt, why not? Maertz states that the Czech's made these helmets for Egypt, but king Farouk got thrown off the throne before the deal was finished, therefor the helmets stranded in Czechoslovakia and surfaced in the 1980's.

Anybody have some more info on these helmets?

Regards, Lars

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Controvercial "Tan" helmets
    P
    Many

Default Re: Controvercial "Tan" helmets

There were a couple for sale on svmilitaria, they sold for about $400 each. On one hand, it makes sense to me that they could have been made for another country. We know Spain adopted some German style helmets. Finland and Hungary as well, they all liked the design, so why not Egypt?

But on the other hand, I have always heard that at the end of the war the Germans began tearing up their fire and police helmets and customizing them for combat. I figure this was because they were running low on equipment and the fire/police helmets were the only helmets available. You would think that if the Germans knew they had a ton of spare "tan" helmets that they would have used them instead. Of course there are all kinds of alternative possibilities.

I agree with you on the Egypt theory as well, thats the version I have always heard and I think its on the money. I can see the Czech's seizing the opportunity selling plentiful surplus helmets to another country to boost its economy post war, hence the tan helmets. Then , through no fault of their own, things go wrong and the deal collapses. Not wanting to loose face they hide them in a warehouse so they are out of the public eye for as long as possible, in this instance till the 1980's.

So much more plausible then period helmets kept in storage.

Cheers
    Jason

Good article wasn't it Lars! I'm in the Egyptian camp.

Don't loose your sleep over it Lars , they are post war. I wouldn't call them controversial either , the controversy died a long time ago.

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Don't loose your sleep over it Lars , they are post war. I wouldn't call them controversial either , the controversy died a long time ago.
    It's a interesting story i think. Saying the controversy died out a long time ago, does that mean additional info have surfaced?

Regards, Lars

Quote by Datrus View Post
    It's a interesting story i think. Saying the controversy died out a long time ago, does that mean additional info have surfaced?

Regards, Lars
    It just means nobody is bothered by the enigma they represent. Helmet collectors don't buy them , it's clear they are post war. They came from Eastern Europe but to what purpose is unclear.