Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Controversial M42 Toulon France Vet Art

Article about: Hi all. While on the topic of dealers selling fakes in other threads, I wanted to post this here for analysis. It was sold in a Facebook group by someone who I previously thought was a strai

As soon as i read your first post i suspected it was Eric Dolan - the people who follow his facebook group and purchase helmets from him must be completely oblivious to any other forums such as WRF, GHW, WAF etc...
    This helmet is terrible - one of the worst he has had for sale although most are pretty bad.

Normally i don't like to get involved with knocking dealers / other sellers... but - avoid this bloke like the plague.

nick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Controversial M42 Toulon France Vet Art
    P
    Many

I'm not on Facebook. I've never heard of Mr Dolan and I don't colect TR lids - but I wouldn't've touched this helmet if I was/had/did.

I've folllowed this thread with interest..I'm not a TR collector....and too old for Facebook BUT I've noticed a shift towards it over the years. Good dealers (and, clearly, bad ones too) have adopted it to find new stuff, move stock..and reach a whole new [MASSIVE] market. I've missed some great (and "right") pieces by not being on it...the dealers KNEW the items would sell there, sell quickly AND probably at higher prices.....and they did (just not to me!)...and its no good screaming at your friendly dealer for doing so as they're not Charities.

As we often see here, folk don't wanna read or write loads nowadays...afterall, most of you have stopped reading this!...."Fake!" or "cool" is often more than enough to satisfy the majority - they're not interested in the "why"...and, sadly, Facebook and the like seems to give an item credibility......"I read on Facebook" appears to be the modern equivalent of "I looked into that and did a bit of research myself". And, sadly, whilst sites like this often contain details of dealers with qustionable dealings, it's the item which actually grabs folks attention...people don't naturally search for "dodgey dealers" or "Ebay Money Makers" when they're "researching" (actually just looking for a picture of something which LOOKS the same or similar to the item they WANT to buy even if they can't find a picture!) a German Helmet or similar...and even if a Forum had the b@lls to have a "Dealers to avoid" Thread most buyers would find it AFTER they've been stung or after the Forum had been sued for libel.

At the moment I wish I was on Facebook....and I'm glad I'm not for now at least......go figure! :-)

oh, and even dealers get stuff wrong sometimes......but rarely repeatedly, unless........... :-)

And the champagne corks pop!

Thanks all for the comments; I private messaged the bloke who bought the helmet and he has asked for a refund. I wasnt the first person to approach him privately. Eric’s first response was “you’ve got to be kidding me?”.. he’s just pure scum.

I expect Facebook isn't long for this world in regards to militaria sales. Facebook's administration seeks out an shuts down militaria pages regularly, especially those trading in anything Third Reich-related. It simply isn't a viable platform for collectors. Especially as it tends to be populated by younger collectors, who are in general less experienced. It makes an ideal hunting ground for fakers.

Also, I note that Mr Dolin insists on payment via Friends & Family, so that when you inevitably find out you've been sold a turd, he can refuse a refund and walk away scot-free. Any money you've paid him goes right up the spout. People like that deceitful swine are a stain on this hobby.

B.B.

?

Im in that group too, and had my doubts on this piece (and i am still a newbie). The colors look way too new and and almost printed or a sticker..

Lots of scammers and fakers out there, makes you think twice (or three times) to buy from a private person on the internet.

And thanks for the post and warning others!

Anyone who pays with a "friends and family" payment to someone who is neither is asking for trouble...
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

MAP
    ?

How I missed this post I do not know. As Nick said, the moment I read the first post I knew who we were talking about.

Sorry for those who are use FB and don't mean to hurt anyone's "snowflake feelings", but it's a joke. It is a way to lure in the uneducated masses and fleece them. Yes, good items are found but often the newbie asking about his grandfather's souvenirs are ripped off. And like eBay it's a place where guys (like this FB page) create a space to peddle the freshly made creations.

Only a true forum structure is the place to discuss, learn, research. Blowhards, fraudsters and trolls are quickly disbatched. While the "advice" I've seen given on FB has made my jaw drop. Yeah...i know that there are some good guys/pages out there on FB, but few and far between.

Ever try to find an old thread/post on FB? Laughable.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

TWS
    ?

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    As soon as i read your first post i suspected it was Eric Dolan - the people who follow his facebook group and purchase helmets from him must be completely oblivious to any other forums such as WRF, GHW, WAF etc...
    This helmet is terrible - one of the worst he has had for sale although most are pretty bad.

Normally i don't like to get involved with knocking dealers / other sellers... but - avoid this bloke like the plague.

nick
    Yep. Young millennials who think FB is the cat's meow for this hobby and that forums are outdated would have been well served in this case by joining a forum and merely doing a search for his name. This guy is well known on major forums as a crook and all-around jackwagon.

Note, I'm not bashing millennials collectively. Only those foolish ones who think FB is superior to forums in the context of this hobby.
    I'm on FB, but not for engaging in militaria collecting. I took a look around (E.D.'s group was one of them) and reached the same conclusion as someone else already posted. It's a treacherous swamp even worse than Ebay for this hobby.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

I agree Facebook is not a good platform to get educated, a good moderated forum can be used like a book with years and years of information. But the sad fact is that even forum activity is going down.
    Here and on WAF you hardly see the dedicated forum mods posting and it's those guys that should work the forum and get activity up.
    On GHW there is a higher level of commitment and it pays off. The difference between what gets posted there and here is huge.
    Mind you I am no longer posting on GHW due to being censored there and being treated as a first time poster :-)

Another issue that both WAF and this forum have is their outdated forum software, having to select each photo individually is a real pain and will impact posting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast