Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Couple local finds, strange paint on Luft M40?

Article about: The Heer helmet has the metal ring inside and no liner. Not sure what's going on with the other helmet, supposedly both were from the guy's Granpa, maybe Grandad messed with the paint, or go

Default Couple local finds, strange paint on Luft M40?

The Heer helmet has the metal ring inside and no liner. Not sure what's going on with the other helmet, supposedly both were from the guy's Granpa, maybe Grandad messed with the paint, or got it like that, who knows.

Thx for any input on this ;-)
    Last edited by Doppelgänger; 02-27-2013 at 04:45 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Couple local finds, strange paint on Luft M40?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Couple local finds, strange paint on Luft M40?

Heer M40 is original, and a nice one to.

With the Luftwaffe blue helmet I am on the fence. The blue paint is convincing, and the whitewash camo might stand a chance, but I don't know enough to comment further. Close up of the whitewash would be needed for me.

regards,
    Corey

I'm with Corey. Can you show a pic of inside the Heer lid.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I,m in agreement, closer shots of both interiors, heer decal,luft paint etc, also maker marks,as well as detailed shot of heer liner ring and liner pins in situ

Hi there,looks like a good heer shell with a nice decal,the luftwaffe helmet really needs to be examined with close up images as nothing can be determined from these pictures i'm afraid. Leon.

The heer Looks good to me.
    Luftwaffe need more picture about the camo.
    chris

They're seller pics, not everyone's a born photographer I'm afraid... The pics aren't that bad anyway.

As stated in the original post, there is no liner in the Heer helmet so I don't see the need for better pics of that, and the decal is fairly obviously good. Seller is a vet's grandson whose Dad just passed, and I seriously doubt these have been subjected to any shenanigans... also, he seems to think the pair of them is worth over a thousand dollars. I had to gently bring him back to earth on that. I don't think I'd pay much over $300 for the Heer helmet, don't know what to think on the Luft one, other that I'd like to gently rip the liner out of it and swap it into the Heer decal'ed shell. Come top think of it, i still have no idea what the shell markings are. I'll try and find out.

Maybe I'm not thinking correctly and the Luft helmet is the real value here, but it doesn't do much for me, other than I'd like to have an M40.

The M40 would be a good candidate for a replacement original liner; 300 is a good deal. It looks like an ET shell, and the decal is ET.
    If the whitewash is original then the M40 Luftwaffe is definitely worth picking up, more so than the SD Heer - even if it had a liner.

If the helmet comes from a veteran family it is just as susceptible to tampering as any other helmet. I've seen instances where veterans had removed the original liners and added reproduction liners. Also there are many veteran bring back helmets that have been repainted completely, or have touched up decals. The point is, every helmet should be judged individually no matter of its origin.

Corey

True true... I'd like to see them in person, waiting to hear back on the shell stampings.

I finally heard back from him, took over two days... This is what he texted me this morning;

all I could find was O66 on the rougher shsped helmet and E64 on the helmet eith the decal.

If anybody can translate this into something that makes more sense? My guess is the Luft is a Q66, and the Heer is a ET64?