Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

A couple of relics from Jersey, Channel Islands.

Article about: Its not very often these days that a German helmet turns up here on the Island of Jersey. For the last 60 plus years many people have trawled over the Island looking for any German militaria

Default A couple of relics from Jersey, Channel Islands.

Its not very often these days that a German helmet turns up here on the Island of Jersey. For the last 60 plus years many people have trawled over the Island looking for any German militaria that may be left here. Helmets be one of the most sought after. These 2 helmets have just come my way, they are not the best by any means but they are from the German Occupation of the Island and so have a direct link and are a part of the Islands history. The shell, missing the liner has had a hard life looking like it may have been used to hold paint or to clean paint brushes in at some time. What is clear is that both helmets were brush painted whilst still in use, which was common over here. The helmet with the liner has had a lot of use and does not look to have been played with for a heck of a long time. The fact that the liner is in the wrong way round and the front of the liner has been worn through makes me think that this may have been done during the Occupation. I have seen quite a number of helmets where the liner has worn through at the front, and turning the liner may have been a quick fix for the original owner. I am sure there are those who will disagree with my theory, but thats all it is.. a theory. If anyone can make out the name, then please let me know.
    Hopefully a few more might turn up in the future but they are much scarcer than people think over here.
    I don't think I will be cleaning them either, they look fine as they are. They might improve a bit with a clean but not enough to warrant ruining how they look at this time. I think the helmet with the liner will display nicely as it is.... as found in August 2014.
    Anyway hope you like them...for what they are.
    All the best from Jersey,
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A couple of relics from Jersey, Channel Islands.   A couple of relics from Jersey, Channel Islands.  

A couple of relics from Jersey, Channel Islands.   A couple of relics from Jersey, Channel Islands.  

A couple of relics from Jersey, Channel Islands.   A couple of relics from Jersey, Channel Islands.  

A couple of relics from Jersey, Channel Islands.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A couple of relics from Jersey, Channel Islands.
    P
    Many

Nice helmets! love the one with the liner still intact, and in good condition too.

As you say "not in the best of order" but they are full of history so that's great. A lovely find after so many years!! Leon.

?

Nice salty finds! Full of history, thanks for posting!

Couple of nice helmets just the way they are and you know they were found on the island. timoty