Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A couple of Relics - Number 2

Article about: by Danmark Hi Scout, WOW - thanks for all that info, I'm impressed .... I assume this is a 'pet' subject for you? I too hope that it is legit ( just for the history / rarity ) and when it do

Default Re: A couple of Relics - Number 2

Quote by AMTG View Post
    I've seen 5 on eBay in the last 6 months!!!! All relics
    Five ...... damn!!! wish I'da seen them. Wouldn't have saved any pix by chance?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A couple of Relics - Number 2
    P
    Many

I would have to disagree on the number of resistance fighters mentioned in this thread..A national archive data-base has SO FAR listed 70.000+ people acting in the resistance movement...Yes,the number of spectular railroad saboteurs and hardcore drop container receive groups was low,perhaps 1000+ people...The Danish Brigade that was trained as a regular army unit in secret in Sweden numbered 5000 men .... Danish merchant seemen who sailed in Allied convoy shipping numbered between 7000 to 8000 sailors .... Danish nationals serving in Allied armys numbers in 1000 to 2000 people,some being trained as parachute resistance instructors&organizers ... The Danish nationals who "in there 1000s" fought for Germany also deserves not to stand alone !! A TOTAL of 10.000 nationals tried to join the German forces and 6000 was accepted...
    ABOUT HALF of these people was Germans who was living in the border lands between our 2 nations,living in Denmark as Danish nationals but thinking,feeling,dreaming in German ... People who got "stuck" on this side of the border of 1920 .... As you very well know a free election of Danish independent political parties was held in marts of 1943...The highest number of voters ever to be registeret in our democratic history...
    And how did this election go ?? The Danish Nat.Soc.Party,which half of the volunteers belonged to,got------2.1 % of all votes !!!
    You Sir should check your facts ....

About the HD helmet,its bad !!! The liberation went very peacefull(the German HQ had surrendered)so there was only little fighting...Which was a good thing,considering the number of 230.000 Wehrmacht troops on duty in Denmark,and I can see no reason WHY a HD helmet should have been blown up !! It didnt happen in fighting Im sure....
    The resistance movement used loads of Wehrmacht gear and there is many examples of "personal" markings on helmets...Also HD markings but I would say this is not one of them...The man is wearing a Chezk helmet which was issued by the Germans to the workers of the railroads for protection...Also these helmets excist today bearing different resistance marks...

Thankyou for your comments PeterPaul- but I have long since moved this and another similar relic into the "what was I thinking" box in the garden shed.

Too many thumbs down for me...
    Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

So I am not alone in haveing a collection in the shed !! Disturbeing...

?

Do you have photos of yours of this lid that you can show Dan?
    Or did an "in hand" assessment confirm the thumbs down from some of the guys?
    Just curious mate.

Brad.

?

Quote by PeterPaul View Post
    I would have to disagree on the number of resistance fighters mentioned in this thread..A national archive data-base has SO FAR listed 70.000+ people acting in the resistance movement...Yes,the number of spectular railroad saboteurs and hardcore drop container receive groups was low,perhaps 1000+ people...The Danish Brigade that was trained as a regular army unit in secret in Sweden numbered 5000 men .... Danish merchant seemen who sailed in Allied convoy shipping numbered between 7000 to 8000 sailors .... Danish nationals serving in Allied armys numbers in 1000 to 2000 people,some being trained as parachute resistance instructors&organizers ... The Danish nationals who "in there 1000s" fought for Germany also deserves not to stand alone !! A TOTAL of 10.000 nationals tried to join the German forces and 6000 was accepted...
    ABOUT HALF of these people was Germans who was living in the border lands between our 2 nations,living in Denmark as Danish nationals but thinking,feeling,dreaming in German ... People who got "stuck" on this side of the border of 1920 .... As you very well know a free election of Danish independent political parties was held in marts of 1943...The highest number of voters ever to be registeret in our democratic history...
    And how did this election go ?? The Danish Nat.Soc.Party,which half of the volunteers belonged to,got------2.1 % of all votes !!!
    Welcome to the forum.

Its a little unclear to whom you direct your post, as you give no indication?

If to me, then I would say that you are more than a little confused and seem to be mixing numbers and nationals.

(Again, if to me) I specifically mentioned ACTIVE resistance fighters. Meaning folks who actually squeezed a trigger or placed and detonated explosives. That number was quite low and I stand by that. Its pretty well documented.

Again if a correction to my numerous posts in this thread, you seem to think there were 70K resistance fighters!!!
    As I mentioned a significantly smaller number of ACTIVE fighters, your number is laughable and further more, you are wrong.
    In a small country with less than four million people, they would have had to be stepping on each others toes in order to get to blow something up.
    As active as Kieler, 'Flammen & the Citronen' were for example, there would not have been enough Germans or installations to go around, LOL!

I acutally did mention, that there were a larger number supporting the active resistance fighters (food, housing, supplies etc).
    They are of course NOT counted amongst the ACTIVE fighters (those who shot Germans, HIPOs or blew stuff up).

The Danish Brigade are not counted by anybody amongst active resistance fighters by anybody other than you, nor were they considered ANY form of resistance movement in any way, shape or form.
    That they had members fleeing from DK and who had belonged to the Resistance Movement is neither here nor there.
    The Danish Brigade was considered a military unit and was held back. They didnt step foot on Danish soil until the Germans capitulated and played no active role in the resistance (apart from those of the resistance movement fleeing to Sweden).

As mentioned, I believe you are a tad confused as to their role.

Neither are the Merchant Marine sailors who sailed in convoys for the Allies to Murmansk etc counted as active resistance fighters. They did a brave job and never got much reqognition, but that is neither here nor there.

This is were it gets murky; you post to disagree with the numbers of Danish resistance fighters and then as an argument use those who actively sought to be a part of the German war machine!!!!!?????

Are you drunk?

So, to recap; you burst into the forum with no intro and a rambling confused post. That is no problem per se - except that I have to waste time answering a futile post.

Thats also okay. Its Christmas soon and further more late Friday in your country. I believe your confused writings are under the influence of alcohol or something like that. So lets try again, when you have sobered up

I assume you are of Danish nationality like myself and so will be able to read the following link: Heltearkiv afslører modstandsfolk - Politiken.dk

By far most of these people was not active daredevil sabotuers,but belonged to the military underground army which was organised on direct wish of the SOE in Londen ... There even was a full halt in sabotage so everybody could put all time and effort into these groups..Were these men not resistance ?? They was to emerge from underground hiding when/if the Western Allies reach Denmark and aid in the fighting...Dont be mistaken,if caught by Gestapo the punishment for being in such a "sleeping" group was life in(German)prison or KZ !! The Brigade was no match to the Wehrmacht and it never was intended to be,they were intended to aid in liberating our country,IF it came to a fight..Are they not resistance ?? The Danish police force was rightfully suspected by the Gestapo to have ties to the resistance and in a surprise arrest 2000 was send in KZ in 1944...The rest of the force,about 8000 men,went underground in hiding and joined the resistance in one way or another...Some became fighters,most didnt,military "sleeper" cells,police investigation of snitches and other things..Were these men not resistance ??
    Problem is that you in your post portrait Denmark as somewhat of a small Austeria where the pro-nazism was widespread...That is not true...
    I have been member of this forum some time but have not found reason to write,but this porteait of "1000s who fought for Germany" is simply not the entire truth..

?

Hmmmm PeterPaul, I dont know, if you are deliberately being obtuse....

You keep going in circles and your arguments bite their own tail.

I assume you are of Danish nationality like myself and so will be able to read the following link: Heltearkiv afslører modstandsfolk - Politiken.dk

You brusquely correct my statement of there being only a small number of ACTIVE resistance fighters in Danmark, my statement of the number of those helping them with food, lodgings and supplies being larger than the number of those ACTIVE.
    But you do it by linking to a newpaper article, which specifically points out, that the number of those who helped the ACTIVE fighters was larger than those actually killing Germans, HIPOs and blowing things up.
    The imperative words in the article, that you refer to, are that those supporting the Resistance were 'NOT ACTIVE' fighters killing Germans and blowing things up. AS I HAVE STATED AGAIN AND AGAIN.

You are opposing my statements in this thread by feeding us links, which SUPPORT my statements

Why dont you read the posts prior to yours slowly and let it sink it?

By far most of these people was not active daredevil sabotuers,

You even state so yourself for crying out loud (as I have stated, that the vast majority were in a SUPPORTIVE role and not ACTVIVE fighters killing Germans or blowing stuff up).

but belonged to the military underground army which was organised on direct wish of the SOE in Londen

Nope, most of the civilians helping the ACTIVE fighters were of course not organized from London.

You have a skewed pic of what actually happened.

SOME of the ACTIVE resistance fighters (those killing Germans, HIPOs and blowing stuff up) were organized from the UK (not all though).

Further more, it was by no means a MILITARY UNDERGROUND ARMY.

First of all, thats an oxymoron.

Secondly, those supporting the ACTIVE fighters were for the most part CIVILIANS. Not armed, not in the military, not organized and most certainly NOT and army

... There even was a full halt in sabotage so everybody could put all time and effort into these groups..Were these men not resistance ?? They was to emerge from underground hiding when/if the Western Allies reach Denmark and aid in the fighting...Dont be mistaken,if caught by Gestapo the punishment for being in such a "sleeping" group was life in(German)prison or KZ !!

You are babbling. There were ACTIVE fighters and those helping them.The latter were not to emerge from anywere as they were not ACTIVE fighters. Some were untrained unarmed middle aged to elderly married couples.

The Brigade was no match to the Wehrmacht and it never was intended to be,they were intended to aid in liberating our country,IF it came to a fight..Are they not resistance ??

And now back to the Danish Brigade *SIGH*
    Strictly speaking, now that you ask, NO!
    A fully equipped and uniformed Brigade in Sweden not fighting in Denmark is NOT 'The Resistance.'
    Some came from the Resistance but thats neither here nor there.
    A resistance movement is just that. A fully armed and uniformed 'Brigade' is just that.

You have to understand, that when we speak of the 'The Resistance movement,' its those in Denmark RE-SIS-TING.

The Danish police force was rightfully suspected by the Gestapo to have ties to the resistance and in a surprise arrest 2000 was send in KZ in 1944...The rest of the force,about 8000 men,went underground in hiding and joined the resistance in one way or another...Some became fighters,most didnt,military "sleeper" cells,police investigation of snitches and other things..Were these men not resistance ??

*SIGH* See above what defines a resistanve fighter.
    Sadly your knowledge in this field is severely lacking: Nobody were better at catching Danish resistance fighters in the earlier part of the German occupation in Denmark, than the Danish police, now that you bring it up.

The politicians in charge spoke against those resisting and urged cooperation.They denounced the resistance movement in the earlier half of the war until cooperation between the offcial Danish representatives and the Germans broke down.

Some police joined the resistance - especially in the latter part of the war.

But the didicated effort of the police is a historical fact.

When Berlin at some point (before the strike in the latter part of the occupation and break down in relations between the Danish government and the German occupier) asked the Germans in their Copenhagen headquarter, if they didnt need more German security police to round up those against the occupation, the answer was an unequivocal no and a reply back that basically stated, that - We dont need it, the Danish police are doing a great and effective job of catching the 'criminals.'

You really really need to brush up on this, before you invent more BS.

Problem is that you in your post portrait Denmark as somewhat of a small Austeria where the pro-nazism was widespread...That is not true...

I do nothing of the sort. Dont put words in my mouth. Again, you are babbling.
    You cant in any way, shape or form compare Austria with its ties to Germany (kinship, language, people, history) with Denmark.
    There was no 'Anschluss' in Denmark - the country was occupied. Austria was not.
    The Government in Denmark played along with the occupiers for a while in order to have Denmark come through WWII without suffering as other countries suffered (they actually did a very good job at that. Not an honourable job, but they in effect cut down on bombings and lives lost, as there would have been, had we fought like the Valiant Norwegians).
    Many civilians played along and the Resistance Movement didnt gather momentum until after 43.
    This does not take anything away from those relatively few brave members of the Danish resistance who fought actively during most of the War.

Not that you mention it; we cant deduce that the vast majority of the Danish population were Pro-nazis, but lets look at the facts (it would behoove you to do so); Germany had no interest what so ever in occupying Denmark on the 9. April 1940. Relations between the two countries were good, Agricultural goods and other supplies flowed in huge numbers from the Agricultural nation of Denmark to Germany helping them with the war effort.

Germany didnt want to occupy hence risk the steady flow of goods. They didnt want to risk the cooperation between the two nations.

They did in the end how ever invade Denmark, as they needed Danish soil as 'springboard' against other nations.

Germans calculations predicted, that Danes would rue the invasion and resist in great numbers hence make production suffer.

THE OPPOSITE HAPPENDED: Agricultural output went UP and Danes went about their way as before.
    Industry boomed and Danes happily went into the Building industry for the German invader.

Well, you asked....

I have been member of this forum some time but have not found reason to write,but this porteait of "1000s who fought for Germany" is simply not the entire truth..
    I only saw, that your very FIRST post on the forum was in this thread.

You are again woefully wrong. Actually several. thousands of Danes DID fight ACTIVELY for Germany during WWII.

Thousands more were not on the frontlines but still joined and wore a uniform.

I believe, that you have now totally gone off your rocker. The following quote from an above post is in direct contradiction with your statement
    A TOTAL of 10.000 nationals tried to join the German forces and 6000 was accepted...
    It might be the jumbled together, confused and babbling manner of your writings. Or it might be, that you simply have the facts wrong. What ever the cause, you have now made me waste even more time defending the simple statement, that there were less ACTIVE resistance fighters in Denmark than those in a supportive role.
    Your writings seem suspiciously close to trolling at best - at worst you come over sounding like a fool.
    Maybe its because you are emotional - try to tuck the national feelings away for a moment and look at what actually happened.

Quite frankly, in light of the above - this is an insult.

Well,I dont want to troll this great forum and certainly not a countrymen...There was 10.000 mationals trying to join the Wehrmacht and 6000 was accepted...That number is firm I think...

The Danish resistance was VERY slow indeed because of the goverment coorperation politics..The national archives list,so far,70.000 people who in some way or another is counted as resistance...

This high number also counts the socalled "last days holy" resistance fighters,ppl who joined closely to the time of liberation...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast