Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A couple of tropen sun helmet shields

Article about: Picked these up recently for US\\$50 the pair. Pity about the pins but the quality and detail of the alloy stamping is just SO GOOD! When you see them in hand ( or hopefully in these photos )

Default A couple of tropen sun helmet shields

Picked these up recently for US$50 the pair. Pity about the pins but the quality and detail of the alloy stamping is just SO GOOD!
    When you see them in hand ( or hopefully in these photos ) you get to realise how the fakes are just a poor comparison!

Cheers, Dan

( Pix taken with my phone at work - sorry about the quality )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A couple of tropen sun helmet shields   A couple of tropen sun helmet shields  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A couple of tropen sun helmet shields
    P
    Many

Default Re: A couple of tropen sun helmet shields

Good honest set Dan, thanks for showing.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Sadly I have to disagree as IMHO these are copies. The reversed pebbling, the flaw on the eagles head and the method of attaching the pins are all red flags.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A couple of tropen sun helmet shields  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Wow! Well i am amazed Jerry, the detail is quite crisp. Do you have any reference photos for me?

Here are some from my collection. Notice that the fronts are pebbled and the rears are pitted, which is easier to see on the tri colour shields.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A couple of tropen sun helmet shields   A couple of tropen sun helmet shields  

A couple of tropen sun helmet shields   A couple of tropen sun helmet shields  

Regards,

Jerry

And some fakes.

Regards,

Jerry

Well blow me down - you are right!!
    All yours are pebbled and my ones are pitted on the front.
    I'm flabbergasted - as a toolmaker I can tell you that this is a quality stamping compared to the junk normally seen - these would HAVE to have been turned out by someone knowing their stuff...... I wonder when?

and who'd have thought it was worth the effort - you cant just whack these on any old helmet!
    Thanks, Dan ( into the box of broken dreams they go )

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

They are well made but thankfully the reversed pebbling is a quite obvious fault when you know to look for it. Also the brass pins are soft soldered which means they are very fragile (and will fall off very easily) and also it is a pale bright shiny silver colour compared with original soldering which is hard soldered and is a dull matt grey colour.
    Regards,

Jerry

Good eye Jerry thanks for that info.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]