Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Curious about helmet

Article about: I have to agree that it is post war painting added by a bored GI or by someone after the war to enbellish a war souvenir. I have seen a number of embellished helmets from high quality art to

Default Curious about helmet

Hey guys,

I am posting this hoping the experts can help my buddy and I out. This helmet was given to him by his uncle(US WW2 Vet) in the 1960's. It has remained unaltered since it was given to him. It is a bring-back. He was also given some daggers and medals too.

I know that a lot of vets did artwork on items, but we're not sure that his uncle did the white "decals". I was wondering what you guys thought. Was this possibly done by a last-ditch soldier? I know it's impossible to tell, but you guys do know your stuff!

The lid is marked-ET-66 and 155, from what I can tell. It also used to have a name, but that has faded with time. The camera doesnt show it, but the inner, rear, bottom of the lid has a faint outline of HH on it. The name was on one of the sides.

You guys know that I know little about helmets, so go easy

Thanks! PS-Any value would help too.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Curious about helmet   Curious about helmet  

Curious about helmet   Curious about helmet  

Curious about helmet   Curious about helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Curious about helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Curious about helmet

Judging by the wear on the hand-painted decals, they appear to be period, but I think that it was done immediately post-war. The Germans were not ones to crudely hand-paint decals on their helmets.

Thanks, Ob. Can you tell me more about the model and what the stamps represent?

Looks to Me like the guy picked himself up a souvenir helmet and bitched to his mates that the decals were missing,so one of his buddies "fixed it" for him!

?

Its a M40 shell the ET stands for Eissenhuttenwerke Thale, Thale is the city where it was made .The 66 is the size in centimetres, the rear skirt no/ which i think reads 1755 is the lot no/, as for the hand painted very crude decals, i would guess it was an attempt done by a GI or even post war added, shame really its somewhat spoilt it if post war

Quote by davejb View Post
    Its a M40 shell the ET stands for Eissenhuttenwerke Thale, Thale is the city where it was made .The 66 is the size in centimetres, the rear skirt no/ which i think reads 1755 is the lot no/, as for the hand painted very crude decals, i would guess it was an attempt done by a GI or even post war added, shame really its somewhat spoilt it if post war
    Thank you Dave!

Almost looks like a kid did the 'artwork'. The eagle is not even centered,
    but the painted swastikas are positioned right, as if someone - like a
    Veteran - knew where they were supposed to go............
    Regards,

Steve.

I still kinda think that it gives the helmet character. I highly doubt that a kid did the 'artwork', or that my friend's uncle bitched about the helmet. Not everyone is Da Vinci, plus being WOUNDED. That being said-Does anyone have a ballpark number for this lid? My friend is interested in selling it.

?

I could imagine someone in a last ditch effort, defending the reich, sitting in a shell hole, painting hurriedly patriotic symbols on his helmet, sterling his nerve and convincing himself of his beliefs doing this

Quote by qotd View Post
    I could imagine someone in a last ditch effort, defending the reich, sitting in a shell hole, painting hurriedly patriotic symbols on his helmet, sterling his nerve and convincing himself of his beliefs doing this
    Exactly. Could have been some HJ youngster, thrown into battle in the final days. Those mofos were fanatical. I'm 95% positive that this was picked up in Germany. There is a good chance that a teen, or old man wore this in defense of a lost cause. But hey, maybe my boy's uncle's, imaginary kid painted it, or his wounded arm. Apparently, everyone else was an amazing artist in the 40's.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast