Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

DAK helmet !!!????

Article about: Need help with this helmet! This helmet has been owned by the cousin of a colleague for maybe 16 years. This 50 year old gentleman purchased this helmet in Tunisia on a holiday. He is a poli

Default DAK helmet !!!????

Need help with this helmet! This helmet has been owned by the cousin of a colleague for maybe 16 years. This 50 year old gentleman purchased this helmet in Tunisia on a holiday. He is a policeman, not collecting specific militaria only interested in antiques (and wind surfing.) that's all. He showed me this pot for evaluation. He will keep it at all cost as a memory and cool stuff but I am very curious. I do not want sleepness nights. Well, it's a hard one. My first impression was wow, this is a cool lid!! I want it!! But....We all know that scammers and swindlers put serious effort to rip off people. Besides I am always skeptic with camos, unique camos and especially with anything which bears DAK palm tree symbol.
    So....let's start the description.
    This is a single M35 shell. I can not see any evidence of underlying decal but paint is thick. Can't see any marking because of thick camouflage but seems to be a Quist or NS to me by the shape. Smaller size 62. I think has luftwaffe blue inside. There are (at least) two layers of camo paint on it and impurities of unkown origin. Tan and some light (olive?) green on it. Hand painted and worn DAK palm on the right side painted around with the green. A lot of combat wear and scratches. The paint is relatively well attached (except mild flaking in some areas). Both camo layer has nice mudcracks but pronounced with the green.
    Sniffing the helmet there is no paint smell or any acerbic odor from artificial aging with chemicals.
    Opinions with this please!!! or

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DAK helmet !!!????
    P
    Many

Default Re: DAK helmet !!!????

Never seen this kind of camo and decal! But for me it looks like an old paintwork. I like it!

Wow... tough one! I really like the crazing... but it seems too good to be true! What I find a bit odd/ troubles me a little is that there is no liner and that the interior looks spotless...

Looks like something put together to scam gullible tourists.

I don't believe the palm tree symbol has been authenticated with period photos either.

I was under the impression that the palm tree and swas was never used on helmets, BUT I may be wrong about that. I've never seen it on a good helmet. Thats a lot of green for a desert camo.

Crack's in the paint can become artificialy, also moderne paint on water base has no odor.
    I don't recall the name of the product to become crack's, but I will ask my wife when I see here, if there is interest.
    And I agree with Glenn's point of vue regarding thise helmet.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Quote by stuka f View Post
    Crack's in the paint can become artificialy, also moderne paint on water base has no odor.
    I don't recall the name of the product to become crack's, but I will ask my wife when I see here, if there is interest.
    And I agree with Glenn's point of vue regarding thise helmet.
    cheers
    |<ris
    the product is called crackle glaze ,creates cracks in paintwork .strange looking camo , but beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say...pavel

Junk in my opinion.

Mixing egg white in oil based paint will give the same effect. An old trick.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

It's only a tip but can't it be somekind of soldier art helmet for example? The color combination roughly reminds me of the german DAK uniform and equipment. (saharian tunic, africa boots..etc with sand color and light olive green)
    As I know camo para helmets from North Africa also bear various camo patterns not only tan.
    What do you think about the wear on the helmet? For me it looks much more natural than a usual fake.
    There might be tricks and modern paints today but this one is minimum 15-20 year old or more. Personally I have been in Tunisia some years ago and I'd never expect such faker skill from the locals. For example I only found some rusty german oil cans and barrels and some small, heaviliy oxidated metal pieces of something around a berber village.
    I asked several people in different places there but they could not show me anything.

?

Ive got to agree with Ade on this one, Ive created almost the same appearance on a couple of helmets over the past few years for a friend, although it takes longer here, but they have all the right conditions at hand, sand, tans and greens ochres and even if they didnt use any artificial painting techniques they have a hot sun, leave a helmet thats been roughly painted in the sun for a week with a steady breeze in a desert area and you will get the same look, as for the painted decal, there was a stencil i believe that was used on vehicles with the palm tree motive, but what is the idea of a camoed helmet, to help being unseen, why paint a ruddy great white "shoot here" motif, i know there are original camoes with scratched revealed decals but they are small in comparison to this shoot me quick decal, just my 10cents worth

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast