Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DD Heer camo

Article about: Just bought this old boy pretty cheap, just wanted your thoughts on it, thanks!

Default DD Heer camo

Just bought this old boy pretty cheap, just wanted your thoughts on it, thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DD Heer camo   DD Heer camo  

DD Heer camo   DD Heer camo  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DD Heer camo
    P
    Many

I think it was a nice KIA M35 DD at one stage with a field overpaint that has chipped badly but has then had a post war coat of paint applied.
    I then think someone has acetone dug out the decals....

It would be a good project to see if the thin topcoat can be removed as I think the inner is the original apple green and the liner is like that from blood rot and shrinkage.

How cheap was 'pretty cheap'?

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I paid $250 for it. So you think the outer paint is post war?

Quote by bowlin7178 View Post
    I paid $250 for it. So you think the outer paint is post war?
    I do - it looks too thinly spread and the decals have certainly been revealed from under the field repaint. I think it was sanded and then re-coated post war.
    BUT, $250 is still a good price for this I reckon.....

Cheers, Dan

MAP
    ?

Agree with Dan on this one. The decal appears to have been dug out. If you look closely at the heavily chipped areas you can see where an acetone thinner has left "running" lines. I've tried to highlight in the picture below but my circle and line looks hard to see. Try double clicking the image. But you can see the "thinned" paint streaking over the thick paint and chipped areas.

I don't know whats up. Maybe my eye or maybe the resolution on my PC or what but it looks awfully "green" to me.

As always, these are just my opinions and happy to be shot down if those with more experience disagree.

Michael

DD Heer camo
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Do you guys know of any good restorers I can possibly send this to? or should I just leave it alone?

MAP
    ?

Leave it be. Not worth a restoration IMHO. Enjoy it for what it is. And early battle damaged DD M35 that has been played with.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I agree with Michael - I don’t know what a restorer’s charge out rate would be in the US but your purchase price would be quickly overtaken – and you wouldn’t have a $500+ helmet given the liner damage.

I wouldn’t rush in – but if you really want to I would say give it a go yourself. Try some experimentation on a section not noticeable with different mild solvents or even laundry liquid and you might be surprised. Rub a section with methylated spirit and see if the paint comes off on a cloth – then you will know if it is water based or oil based ( if water it will come off ) same with some solvents to see if it lacquer or enamel.

Good luck!

Hi, I agree with the guy's above that this had been post war re-painted, although i am not entirely happy about the inner paint either. To me it looks as though the liner has been out on this one and the interior re-painted as well! Leon.

Thanks guys, I'll leave it for what it is, maybe the next owner will give the restoration a go, I'll probably end up selling it and get a better example.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast